Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Table (or board) games    

Table (or board) games

rosammd
Spain

Table (or board) games

Hello friends:

Have you ever worked with your students a unit on table or board games (trivial, pictionary, chess... ???? If so, which games did you use? Which use of the english language?

I would like to design a unit on this topic, at first I thought about "toys" but my students are 9-10 and they are not interested in toys any more but in computer games. I would like to work on board games to show them another alternative from computers, but I don �t know how to begin.

I hope you can help me. If you have some ideas,please, tell me.

Thanks in advance.

22 Apr 2009      

maneluna
Portugal

hi!
I bought at "imaginarium" toy shop the game "snakes and ladders"... it �s perfect and big!
in groups each of the players has a turn.
when they arrive at a ladder they must answer a question (or whatever you �re practicing) in order to climb it, if not they continue the game... when they arrive at the head of a snake, I don �t give them a chance to answer, they automatically slide down... just for more excitement but it is up to you...
if you try it let me know!!!
:)
bye and good work

22 Apr 2009     

crisholm
Spain

I think esl-lounge have a few board games (probably designed for older students), but one of them, the symbol board, is just as good as snakes and ladders. Just like snakes and ladders (which is indeed very good), it can be used with any point you might be teaching, or for general revision, mixing the cards up (the drawback is cutting out loads of cards for the game, of course)
www.mes-english has many board games which are suitable for children.
And of course, www.esl-galaxy (google all this just in case) has many games for children - even if you do not use them, you may get the inspiration to create your own. (what I did is create a table and insert text or images as I wished - I am not advertising my board games, but you could have a look to see the format.
Now that I think of it, there is a great site where you can create your boards online -mind you, the copyright remains theirs - and find hundreds of boards created by other teachers: www.eslhq.com.
I hope all this is useful. There are many good board games on this site, as well, and trivial questions, etc. Just search the site.
Good luck!

22 Apr 2009     

Roy Piepers
Spain

Board games are a great way to revise any grammar, vocabulary or expressions and I use them quite often myself. Making them is dead easy as well, just use excel or word, and you can give it your own personal twist. I make them myself so they are suitable for whatever I want to review.

Have a look at them if you want and good luck Big smile

22 Apr 2009     

ssrl10
Spain

On Friday I will post a Trivial game I am finishing, including a board with questions for children and teenagers. The other day I uploaded a cluedo game (it is not suitable for your students as they are young but you can have a look at it in the preview and get an idea about how I made the board: it is easy, taking pictures from the game and using paint or other program to suit them to your needs, then add the rules and create your own cards).

Hope that helps,
Silvia

22 Apr 2009     

Roy Piepers
Spain

An interesting thing might also be to have them make their own board game based on the things they have learned recently after they have played a board game themselves. Put them in different groups so they can play each other´s games.

22 Apr 2009     

dilekatameric
Turkey

ı prepared some boarda games on different grammar topics students love these kinds of games
I put them in a group of 3 or for each group race with other groups
I think board games are suitable for all ranges of age

22 Apr 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Are you reading a book at all?  A great board game idea is to have the children create their own boardgame based on the plot of a book.

One of my favourite units involved the Harry Potter Books - the children created trivia questions and placed them on cards.  They made up categories Plot, heroes, villians, actors. author.  It was heaps of fun - they decorated the gameboard with pictures off the internet which were placed on to a gameboard template i provided.

This can be done either digitally or by hand.

Word Up is a fantastic esol board game that children really enjoy.  They need to be of intermediate level and above to play.

I suggest you also search for Taboo on this website as I think Icha made some incredible cards for this game - as have others - the kids love it too!

Jenga can be used with questions written on the pieces - or the children have to throw a dice - then answer a question to be allowed to build that many pieces.

what a great unit - i don �t think children are ever too old for boardgame s- they groan at first - just ignore that and keep positive and they will get really into it.

Good luck

22 Apr 2009     

roneydirt
United States

As stated you can create, use a variety of sites to create a game or use one of their games.  It all depends on what you want to focus on, and interestingly you can set up games with different focal points for different level students especially if they are a mixed class in the same game.

There is some games on here I saw a board for Battleship that worked quite well.  Wish I knew who it was from, I forget at this moment.  I used these concepts in the game.
Use question then statement in order to shoot.  (Sentence structure) 
Practice using the word "a" since many forget a and an in their sentences.
Practice saying different letters in words like seperating the sound K and T like in boot and book.
Practice word forms like Dirty and thirsty seperating the d and th sound.
Adding the S sound in fast and compare it to the word fat.
Most of the student love it but found some classes we are going to have to keep it teacher vs student games.  That will be another thing you will have to test on your own can the students handle individual and small group play.

My biggest issue is the co-teachers since I am basically a guest teacher at the schools.  Gave them a lesson outline the different aspects of the focus points on the game 3 weeks ago, 2 weeks ago and last week.  We are playing the game this week and they are going, "Why are we playing this game, it has no educational material in it."  I do the converstation and speaking part.  Seeing and speaking the word are two different aspects and one of the co-teachers English skills is...  well lacking and she is in charge of the English department at the school.  Of course they been telling me I need to play more games with the students and less formal lessons since most of mine are designed to reinforce what is being taught in the regular classes and conversation English.

23 Apr 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

There are lots of FANTASTIC boards here, where you can attach your subject, grammar rules, vocabulary, what ever.
Have a look at Pinky Makus, in the facilities, she is an artist. Usually there is a game board and also the cards. Have a look, she deserves and you will get a "hipersuperfuntastic" board.( castles, turtles, fish ... ). Have a look, don �t miss them, and they are editable, you can change anything if you want to.

Mes-english provides also a very interesting thing. There are game generators and you can have the students to "build" up their own boards.
It is also interesting, it depends on what you want to do. Have a look.

23 Apr 2009     

ameliarator
United States

I was just thinking about a game related vocabulary lesson myself! �But maybe I �m confused; are you talking about using games to teach other things like grammar and vocabulary, or having games as the topic of the lesson?

23 Apr 2009     

1    2    Next >