Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help me out with this !    

Help me out with this !

hanhxuanthao
Vietnam

Help me out with this !

choose the best fit

Some of the boy ..................did not come

A. whom i visited them
B. i visited them
C. who i invited
D. when i invited

i think that no answer matching with this sentence. how about your ideas ?

23 Apr 2009      

nkappa
Greece

Hello! first of all is it "boy"? or "boys"?

Because "some" and "boy" is completely wrong. Maybe you didn �t type it correctly.
If it is "boys" the correct answer is "c".Thumbs Up 

23 Apr 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

Hello!

Boys must be there, noy boy, and then the answer would be "whom I invited", but when "whom" is unavailable, go for "who". C then. Smile

23 Apr 2009     

Nuria08
Spain

I agree with Lana, the correct answer would be "Some of the boys who I invited did not come"

23 Apr 2009     

hanhxuanthao
Vietnam

how can " who " be used in this case?

23 Apr 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

It can, even though it shouldn �t, because the correct rule is to use whom, but who and whom became interchangeable in this case some time ago because of the laziness and ignorance of the language carriers. Wink 

23 Apr 2009     

freddie
Canada

Dear Lana

With all due respect, the evolution of language is sometimes due to ignorance and sometimes not. If language wasn �t constantly changing you would still speak like Chaucer, and we wouldn �t want that, would we? Wink

23 Apr 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

Absolutely!!! Smile

23 Apr 2009     

hanhxuanthao
Vietnam

Clapthanksssss

23 Apr 2009     

lacorinita
Italy

Well. I agree with you in some points.

1- It should be BOYS because of some.
2- WHO is also the correct one.

The only that I �ll change is the VERB tense, I �d write HAD INVITED instead of INVITED. 

Why? Well, let �s consider this example: I invited the boys last Monday. The party was last Wednesday and the didn �t come. That means that the action of inviting them was BEFORE their "absence" at the party... or whatever.

So, in my opinion, the four options are not appropriate. It should be, SOME OF THE BOYS WHO I HAD INVITED DIDN �T COME.          

As I said before, it �s my simple opinion!
Have a nice Thursday!
Cori =)  

23 Apr 2009