Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Verbs or Gerunds?    

Verbs or Gerunds?

rach81
Philippines

Verbs or Gerunds?

Hi everybody,

I �m confused. Are verbs ending in -ing considered verbs or are they called gerunds?
Because in my opinion I think they �re gerunds. For example WALK is a verb but WALKING is not.
Ex. I always WALK to school every morning. WALK there is a verb but in the sentence, WALKING is a good exercise. WALKING in this sentence isn �t.

Even when your sentence is My favorite exercise is WALKING. Still walking in this sentence is not considered as a verb. The verb is IS and WALKING is a subjective complement which is still a gerund.

What is your idea about this? �Cause I have observed that most teachers in English consider this -ing forms as verbs but I don �t. �Cause if I will consider them as verbs my students will say that the sentence: SHE WALKING EVERY MORNING is  correct which is not. I have seen some worksheets considering -ing forms as verbs. Is this correct?

I don �t mean to offend anybody. It �s just that now I �m confused. Do you have any explanation about this?

Thanks in advance!

Hugs :o)

rach

24 Apr 2009      

lorinmexico
Mexico

I think the difference is how the -ing word is being used in the sentence.  In the sentence. 
I am walking to school now.  the verb is "am walking".  It �s a verb because of its usage in the sentence.  In the sentence, Walking is good exercise.  Walking is a gerund because it is functioning as a noun or as the subject of the sentence. 

It has been a couple of years since I �ve studied this, but if memory serves me correctly, the "-ing" form is called a gerund when it is being used as a noun in the sentence

Hope this helps,
Lori in Mexico

24 Apr 2009     

rach81
Philippines

Hi lorin,

Yah you �re right "am walking" is the verb phrase but can we consider "walking" alone in that sentence a verb or if my students will say the verb in the sentence "I am walking" is "walking" alone should I consider it? Beacuse for example if I will give an activity and say Give examples of verbs and my students will say: walking, singing, laughing, eating.....shall I consider them as verbs? �Cause in my class I don �t and some teachers do. I don �t want to correct them unless I �m really sure of it and I might offend them if I do correct them.

Sorry if I ask too many questions!

hugs :o)

rach

24 Apr 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

Hi Rach,

What part of speech a word is usually depends on how it is used in a sentence. Gerunds are verb forms ending in -ing that are acting as nouns. For example, "Walking is good exercise" ; however, in the following sentence, "I am walking to school." the word "walking" is the present participle. The verb phrase would be "am walking." I hope this helps.

Carla  Big smile

24 Apr 2009     

Ossimar
Brazil

Hi, Rach,

You are right. Gerunds are not verbs. They are verbal nouns. -ing forms can be considered verbs if they are used in progressive forms, usually after the auxilary "be".

Ossimar
April 24, 2009

24 Apr 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Walking can also be used as an adjective.  Like: Is it a walking stick?  If the -ing form has a being verb before it, we usually consider it a present continuous/progressive form.  Like this : I am walking with my stick.   We call these particpial adjectives if they go before a noun.

24 Apr 2009     

ameliarator
United States

This is an interesting question. �In my opinion a gerund is a verb ending in "ing" which can also function as an adjective ("interesting" for example) or a subject/object ("Swimming in fun/I like swimming.")
The reason that I refer to a gerund as a type of verb is that I find it useful for students to think about sentences in terms of "auxiliary verb" and "main verb." �In my experience it is easier for students to understand "I am singing" and "I have sung" if they see that both have the same basic structure (Subject + auxiliary verb + main verb)

24 Apr 2009     

maripa
Greece

the ing form of the verb can be either present participle or gerund. When it is used for the formation of the continuous tenses (present coninuous/past continuous etc) or as an adjective (interesting/amazing etc) it is present participle. When it is used as a noun (I like swimming/listening to music can be quite relaxing) it is a gerund. When the sentence is in a continuous tense then the verb consists of both the verb to be and the participle-ing form (he is working hard-verb=is working �/ � they were having dinner- verb=were having)

24 Apr 2009     

evl422
United Kingdom

There are a few interesting examples of gerund usage here:
http://www.english-at-home.com/grammar/how-to-use-gerunds/

As a native speaker myself, my advice would be to avoid too much time on whether to call something a verb or a gerund (the vast majority of native speakers certainly wouldn �t have a clue!) and concentrate on having your students form meaningful sentences instead.

24 Apr 2009