Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > adverbs of manner    

adverbs of manner

fede117
Italy

adverbs of manner

my next lesson is on adverbs of manner (elementary) - my school has its own way to introduce new topics and my director of study wants all teacher to do a bit presentation on the new topic where students only listen (i know really weird and not very useful to learn); however normally I use flashcards but i �d like to find for this lesson (for which it �s quite difficult to find appropriate cards) something different and more close to reality.
how can i introduce adverbs of manner? can anyone help please. thanks a lot in advance

26 Apr 2009      

rozianne
United Kingdom

Hello Fede,

I think Presentation Activities are useful for students when learning because they help �tune � them in to the topic to be studied just by listening + seeing first.  This aids in developing comprehension of the structure in a non-pressure situation. i.e. they are not required to use, produce nor speak about something before they have fully understood it.

Anyway, I would write up a list of adverbs across the top of the board.eg

SLOWLY   HAPPILY   ANGRILY   NERVOUSLY     LOVINGLY        ETC ETC

I would demonstrate their meanings through mime.

Then I would write up some activities at the bottom of the board. eg

THROW A BALL   CLEAN MY TEETH   MAKE A BED   TURN ON THE TV    DRINKING COFFEE  ETC

Then I would make a fool of myself by acting out different mimes (eg cleaning my teeth nervously, making the bed angrily etc) and asking Ss to guess what I was doing and how.

It �s a fun game and even the shy Ss sometimes join in.

I first saw this activity from Penny Ur.

Hope that helps,

Good luck

Roz.

26 Apr 2009     

fede117
Italy

thanks Roz. This is very useful and soounds fun to!cheers

26 Apr 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

Hm I dont know if this work for introducing a class but I have a worksheet ( Im not trying to advertise anything) with which students have to listen to a recipe recording ( I can send the recording to your email as well)  and they complete the recipe using adverbs of manner. Check this out!!

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=156355#thetop

2) Another activity I use to introduce adverbs of manner is to write a dialogue ( could be a person trying to buy hamburguers) then in cards write down different adverbs of manner such as : angrily, happily, etc . So give out these cards to the students in the class and they will have to act it out the conversation in the manner is written on the card. It is so much fun in class.

Hug

26 Apr 2009     

fede117
Italy

thanks Miss Melissa12,
sorry I didnt reply b4. only saw this now

28 Apr 2009