Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Inappropriate word    

Inappropriate word

Anna P
Brazil

Inappropriate word

My students love to learn English through songs. A 5 year old boy wants "Singing in the Rain". Isn �t that interesting? I �m preparing his ws with pleasure! Now, one of my older students wants to learn Kelly Clarkson �s " My life would suck without you". I don �t want to teach her anything improper and that �s why I am asking you. Are these words (would suck) inappropriate?
Thanks for your help.

28 Apr 2009      

arlissa
United States

Depends on the family. Most Americans use "suck" every day as a regular slang word that is not a curse word. However, some families would not like their children using the word "suck" because about 20+ years ago it was an inappropriate word. 

28 Apr 2009     

mendiv
United States

We would not allow it at the school where I teach, but it �s not a horrible word.  I would use it in conversation with my husband or adult friends, but I don �t allow my son to use it. (He �s 5 years old.)

Happy singing!
Mendi

28 Apr 2009     

kikins
Brazil

I think that, if you �re teaching in Brazil, it �s ok... Most people I know say "Oh, this sucks" without any problems and I would play this song for my students, no problems. (And my boss is British! lol)

28 Apr 2009     

Anna P
Brazil

Thanks for helping me out with this one.  I shared your answers with the girl �s mother (she was here now because I also teach the girl �s younger sister) and she said that it would be OK to use this song.

28 Apr 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Just because a phrase is acceptable that doesn �t make it appropriate.  "Suck" was a reference to oral sex when it was created and I think it is highly inappropriate.  You are the teacher and therefore responsible for what you place into the minds of the students.  Some phrases in English should not be taught. What �s next?  Is someone going to make a worksheet to teach curse words?  I have seen one here already along those lines.

28 Apr 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Although some words start off with a meaning that is inappropriate for our teaching.  I think it is important to remember that the english language is always evolving.

If you teach the word ensure you teach when it is appropriate to use it.  Teenagers commonly use this word in general conversation to mean "I don �t like that event, situation"

Very few teenagers would use this word when in conversation with an adult - unless they are trying to get a rise out of them.

�That sucks � is used commonly to mean �I don �t think that is fair � when a teenager is told to do something.  If my students (not little kids but if I was working with teenagers) said this when I told them to do something - I would probably respond - I know - isn �t life unfair - now get started.

It is not generally a huge offense - although some teachers would reprimand a teenager for using it.  Even within the same school different teachers would have a different opinion on its use.

I think it is very low level - and rarely used as a way to be rude - more an expression of annoyance or frustration that does not insult anyone.

Important to note - saying ´you suck´ would never be appropriate towards an adult.

28 Apr 2009