Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Does this sentence sound right?    

Does this sentence sound right?

aura+
Portugal

Does this sentence sound right?

2.       Is this sentence correct? �Students prefer  to read books rather than screens. �   Thanks.

30 Apr 2009      

maya_wee
Portugal

Hi there! It sounds ok to me! By screens, you mean TV or computer screens, right? By the way... it �s a beautiful cat in your picture!

30 Apr 2009     

aura+
Portugal

Thanks a lot!

This is J�lio, my cat! Isn �t it a cat with an attitude?

30 Apr 2009     

ammally
Portugal

Hey there! I think you should say "prefer reading" instead of "prefer to read"....

30 Apr 2009     

maya_wee
Portugal

Yep!! He sure is! I have one just like him! Full of attitude, very vain! And this is my little girl, Mel... she �s as sweet as honey! The best of luck to you and J�lio!Thumbs Up

30 Apr 2009     

Apodo
Australia

Students prefer  to read books rather than screens. �

If you mean reading books compared with reading words on a computer screen it �s fine.
If you were comparing movies or TV with books you would need different verbs eg:
Students prefer to watch movies rather than reading books �.

30 Apr 2009     

Zora
Canada

I think she means e-books by the screens comment... and in that case her sentence is perfectly fine as it is. Smile

Oh... Beautiful kitties guys!! Smile

30 Apr 2009     

jocel
Philippines

Hi there!

I guess Ammally is right. "prefer reading" is better than "prefer to read".

Also I guess it �s  also good to say "Students prefer  reading books rather than reading on  screens."

30 Apr 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

Hi,

The sentence could be written as the following: "Students prefer reading books rather than reading e-books on computers." I hope this helps.

Carla  Smile

30 Apr 2009     

hongduyen
Vietnam

Students prefer  to read books rather than screens. �

Hi!
These are some uses with the verbs "Prefer", I hope these will help.
1. prefer + V-ing +to + V-ing
2. prefer + noun+to + noun
3. prefer + to infinitive (+ Object) + rather than + bare infinitive (+ object)
4. would prefer + (not) to infinitive/ would prefer + Object + (not) to infinitive

30 Apr 2009     

Patrick
Ireland

If you read and ebook, to the best of my knowledge, you read off the screen, "Students prefer to read books rather than read off a screen", prefer reading or prefer to read are both ok, it �s simply a matter of choice, hope this helps....

30 Apr 2009