Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > introducing new vocabulary in a creative way !!?    

introducing new vocabulary in a creative way !!?

Dalya
Kuwait

introducing new vocabulary in a creative way !!?

Hello every one,

I �m new here, and i �m asking for help.

I �m a student in the College Of Education (my major is English for sure)

I �m From Kuwait .. and in my country we �re having a lot of trouble in teaching the language. even though my country is very rich but the aids used in schools are not that modern. when we talk about the electric aids we talk about the tape recorder and the over-head-projector only !!

so a teacher can not be creative that much.

as a student i �m supposed to go through 2 training courses

the 1st should be at college where we present a 20 minutes lesson infront of our supervisor

the 2nd is when we go for teaching practice in schools for a year.

i �m in the 1st training course. I �m supposed to present a lesson for 20 minutes but i was wondering

HOW CAN A TEACHER INTRODUCE NEW VOCABULARY FOR ESL LEARNERS ???

please consider that I will not be able to use data-shows or DVD .. I only have the Over-head-projector as an electric teaching aid !!

and i´m talking about ages above 14

so any creative ideas ?????

2 May 2009      

missola
Palestine

I know exactly what you are experiencing and I think you have only a limited period of time so what I suggest is to use the new vocabulary in sentences other than those that will be found in the students � books or you can use them in a whole paragraph. if you can use pistures or illustrations together with the sentences this will be great. together with the sentences you can use either a multiple choice exercise "choose the meaning of the underlined words" or you can use a matching exercise. "mtach the underlined words to their meaning but make sure you put an extra meaning. what I mean to say is that if the words are 8 the meanings should be 9, that �s to make sure that they are making some effort in finding the meaning.

I think this is one of the best way to introduce vocabulary words in classes like ours. when you finish this activity, try to make a fill in the blanks exercise where students have to fill the gaps in the sentences with one of the vocabulary words they have learned.

I wish you best of luck

2 May 2009     

gabitza
Romania

Hi Dalya,
Your Ss are 14 and above, then I suppose they are intermediate and above, right?
In taht case you could you use a �bleep � game to introduce vocab. You will have to work a lot, though. Select the vocabulary you want to teach, not more than 10-15 words for intermediate and upper intermediate Ss. Invent a coherent story (or use the text in your coursebook if the vocabulary is from a lesson you want to teach). Make sure your 15 words are in that story. Then make some word cards. One word per card.
First, read the story and ask some general Qs before reading, so that Ss should concentate on the answers for your Qs. Choose easy Qs that do not require the new vocab to be answered. This way, your Ss are exposed to the text and the new vocab and they get the gist of what it is about.
Put your Ss in groups and give each group a set of cards. Then you read the text a second time. This time you make a �bleep � whenever you come across one of those 15 words. Ss must find a suitable word to fill in your  �bleep �. They are supposed to arrange the word cards on their tables in the order the words appear in the text. At the third reading, slower Ss can catch up - you still read, but let them say the words.

Another idea would be The Definitions Auction. Write definitions for the vocab selected. Some definitions must be incorrect or foolish. Ss work in groups. They are given an imaginary amount of money, let �s say $100. You read the word and give the definition. Groups must decide if the definition is correct or not. In case they think it is correct they can �buy � your words (have the words written on big cards). You auction the words and sell it to the group who gives you the largest amount of �money � (you could use paper money, there are lots on the net). Keep the score and a clear evidence of the words auctioned (I keep it on whiteboard : write the words one under the other and next to the word write the group who bought it and the sum they paid for it) If words remain unsold you write NB next to them (not bought). When you finished the 15 words, you go back to the NB and try to sell them again. Finally, you discuss with your Ss the words and definitions and see the winners: the groups with the most correct sentences (if there are 2 with the same nr, see the amount of money left - who has more left wins).
Hope these ideas help.
Gabitza

2 May 2009     

susiebelle
United States

Those of us that were teachers before the electronic-computerized age can tell you that a data show only can go so far in teaching ESL.  You can not have students sit and watch a PPT or datashow  and expect them to come away with anything they actually retain- if that is all you are using.    You must use lots of things in your lesson such as flash cards, visual aids, the whiteboard, music etc. 

You may actually benefit by having to wing it in using the �outdated � equipment you mentioned. Many, many new teachers I see and evaluate rely on  datashows  too much.  They depend on them  and are not fully expanding their own inner skills as teachers and human beings. 

2 May 2009     

miss noor
Palestine

Hi,
As they said you can use
Flashcards
Pictures

or put the new words in a simple , nice and funny sentences.
It is nicer if you put the new words in sentences about your students or yourself.
 Then ask them to put the new word in a sentence. I am sure they will give u a nice one
Have a nice time,
Noor

2 May 2009     

mjotab
Spain

Here is an activity my students love for new vocabulary: I draw (very badly, but they like laughing at it anyway) the vocabulary on the blackboard with the names underneath. We pronounce all of them again and again but each time I delete two names. When there are no names I start deleting the pictures, but we keep on pronouncing the whole group of words as if everything was there. In the end they are saying the words without pictures or names and it is funny what a good memory they have.

2 May 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

This one is great fun. Hopefully, you don �t have a big class, but i believe it can be adapted to be played in groups, while sitting. You can have the vocabulary written on a piece of paper, turned into a board game.
http://www.eslcafe.com/idea/index.cgi?display:984035570-25791.txt

2 May 2009     

Dalya
Kuwait

thank you all for your help and suggestions ..

I want to discuss each one of you

Ladybird:

would you mind explaining more about the bingo game ?

missola :

I liked the matching excercise I �ll try to  practice on that thank you :)

gabitza :

yes intermediate and above . the problem in my country is that in college you choose to either teach primary Or (intermediate + secondary)

I chose intermediate+secondary so i �m still not sure where am I going to practice or teach in the future

by the way I really LOVED you second idea I will absolutely practice it. thank you ;)

susiebelle :

yes I agree with you. not everything can be introduced with PPT. but i also don �t want to be traditional like write the new vocab on the board and tell  the meaning and have my students write them in their notebooks. but i �m really enjoying the ideas everybody here is giving me :)

thanks for passing by ;)

Miss Noor

you i �ve read that its always fun to students to learn through themselves you know what I mean .. like talking about themselves

mjotab :

can this be done for intermediate and secondary stages ???

Ivona :

WOW, I like the game thank you very very much I �m very greatful

It was really fun reading those ideas thank you very much teachers

with Love,

Dalya

4 May 2009