Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Evaluation    

Evaluation

Snow- white
Macedonia

Evaluation

Dear teachers,I have a question about your educational system.Is your work as teachers evaluated in any way and do you get any reward for doing your job well or a punishment if you fail?There is an issue here for evaluating our work (I believe that you can not judge the teacher �s work throughout the year ONLY by one single test at the end of the school year)but I can not accept the way they are planning to do it so  I wanted to know about other countries.
Hugs,Snowhite

5 May 2009      

missveronica
Argentina

Dear Snowhite, Ive been evaluated in different ways thru my career.

Sometimes Ive found it inapproprite and even agressive, since it was done as you are saying, at the end of the year without even observing a class and in some cases by pp. who were not professional

Others head teachers have come to class (and actually stayed thru) and gave me a report on my work. I found thats the best way to do it, cause you know how you did.

I believe it is also extremely important to leave the door open for "self evaluation" and "authorities/school" evaluation,meaning that you can tell your coordinator what you think about the way they do their work and in what way they may help you improve too

Its not easy to be observed and told if youre not doing well, but if done in a "positive" way it gives you the chance to change and improve.

What Ill do in your place? If I had the possibility, Ill talk it over with my coordinator

Hugz and Good Luck, Vero

5 May 2009     

susiebelle
United States

I am the one who does assessments at our school (located in Saudi Arabia, with Grades KG1 -Grade 12 ),  and have been doing teacher assessments for many years.   We have monthly and bi-monthly assessments.  These assessments   list certain points or areas  that  are  to be checked and all teachers are given a copy of the blank assessment beforehand so she will know each item to be assessed.   

Sometimes, the teacher  knows when she will be assessed because we schedule it at her convenience.  This way, the teacher gets a chance to put her "best  foot forward" .  Other times, we do �spot assessments �  to see how the teacher does on a day-to-day basis. 

The assessments at our school (and others I have been associated with) are not �threatening � or intimidating to the teacher in any way . Assessments are used as tools to help the us and the teacher, herself  know her own strengths and weaknesses, so that she may improve them. 

If assessments are used and presented in the right way,  they are the best way to improve the level of teaching.  The assessor must not use her �power � in a negative way.  The assessor must be someone who is tactful and can �nurture � individual abilities. 

5 May 2009     

mjotab
Spain

Hello, teachers. Up to now, we haven �t ever been evaluated, but rumour has it that we are going to be, but we don �t know how or when yet. It makes one feel a little bit embarrassed, I suppose.

5 May 2009     

Fabiola Salinas
Argentina

Hi!This issue of being assesed is really delicate. I personally agree with Sussiebelle, you have to consider the feedback you get as a means of improving your own performance. Getting feedback at the end of the year isn �t at all positive! as you don �t have the chance of changing things for the better. Ideally, these assessments should be given twice a year at least, so as to have the possibility of changing if you need so! 
Where I work, we hold monthly meetings, which means all teachers from the same level share what they are doing and get to know towards where they are heading. I believe these meetings are really positive to check how well/ badly you are teaching!
Best of luck! Fabiola S.

5 May 2009     

Snow- white
Macedonia

Well I agree with you and I just wanted to make sure that it is a thing used in other countries but not  in a way like it is supposed to be done in my country.I think that we should be evaluated during the whole year not only at the end and only by one single test.Thank you for all the answers.

5 May 2009     

Azza_20
United Arab Emirates

we don�t get evaluated in the UAE, we have  more of a traditional old fashioned system which drives me crazy.

we have a zone supervisor who works for the Ministry of Education, and he only comes and visit the school twice throughout the entire teaching year ( once per semester ) and then we get assessed based on his feedback on 2 observed lessons which is usually unfair as he is not present throughout the year to measure development. We are young teachers with fresh ideas and they are with old fashioned ideas. although there is a set of competencies in the criteria, however its not being applied when assessments are conducted.

Today I have received my feedback and I am quite frustrated and it just makes me hate being a teacher in the UAE!

Its such a coincidence to see this discussion today I was feeling so down today because of the feedback I received and I came to eslprintables to see this topic which I wanted to bring up.

5 May 2009