Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Can´t this be used as a Remedial work with adult elementary classes    

Can´t this be used as a Remedial work with adult elementary classes

HARIM
Morocco

The ones with reference to love,sex,religion,crime.......are poor taste.What should we teach then?

6 May 2009     

wolfy
Chile

Although I don �t go out of my way to teach this kind of material, I do explain it, if it comes up. �I often use google images to explain the meaning of words, and there is rarely a word that doesn �t show something inappropriate. �For example "string" �using an image to explain it is obvious, and it also shows you various meanings. �To ignore a use of a word because we don �t like it just sets the student up to make an embarring mistake in the middle of a business meeting. �So to answer your question, for adults yes, it �s OK.

6 May 2009     

cookingongas
France

Wolfy - I often use google image search too. But would you use it to explain "I play with me"?

I think it all depends on the personalities of the teacher and the students as to whether this would work or not.

In an exercise practising using the present continuous with future meaning today, two of my students (a man and a woman) made a date to go to the cinema one evening next week, and then to the doctor the following morning. Nothing untoward was said, but we all had a very good laugh.

I think any subject can be touched upon with taste, but it takes a certain... something. Character, flare, I �m not sure what it is exactly.

Anyone know "Pictures of Lilly" by the Who? "The Lemon Song" by Led Zepellin? I don �t think they have ever been censored, have they?

Cheers,

Charles.

6 May 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

I teach adults now and personally I steer clear from crude things as I have people from many different cultures in my classes, today I had people from China, Japan, Sri Lanka, Iran, Somalia and India. It was an advanced class so they would have understood the content and meaning.
BUT

If I told a joke like this it would go down like a lead balloon.

What is funny to some can be highly offensive to others. I prefer just to not go there. If someone else bought it up, or brings up something that they want explained, then ok it can be discussed like adults, but at the same time I am very aware  of different cultures values and morals and I can tell you that some would be really disgusted with ME if I brought this to class.

So whatever rocks your boat, every class, group, teacher is different.

6 May 2009     

< Previous   1    2