Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Correcting Errors ..     

Correcting Errors ..

Tere-arg
Argentina

Well... you know times change and  with them ways of teaching and students� needs.

In the past accuracy was a priority.
At present it is communication.
As long as they may transmit their thoughts clearly, mistakes are not soooo important (o so they say).Once they get it, you can try to brush it up.
Now...it is not good to ignore important mistakes which you notice they keep repeating as the longer you let them there, the more difficult it will be to correct them.

Making a revision of the  most important mistakes after the activity, may help.
I prefer to provide my own examples containing their mistakes and challenge them to correct and, if necessary, to explain them.

8 May 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Correction is not an �either / or � issue. Correction needs to take place, and is expected and desired by students. However, the manner in which teachers correct students plays a vital role in whether students become confident in their usage or become intimidated.

Correction is necessary. The argument that students just need to use the language and the rest will come by itself seems rather weak. Students come to us to teach them. If they want only conversation, they will probably inform us - or, they might just go to a chat room on the Internet. Obviously students need to be corrected as part of the learning experience. However, students also need to be encouraged to use the language. It is true that correcting students while they are trying their best to use the language can often discourage them. The most satisfactory solution of all is make correction an activity. Correction can be used as a follow-up to any given class activity. However, correction sessions can be used as a valid activity in and of themselves. In other words, teachers can set up an activity during which each mistake (or a specific type of mistake) will be corrected. Students know that the activity is going to focus on correction, and accept that fact. However, these activities should be kept in balance with other, more free-form, activities which give students the opportunity to express themselves without having to worry about being corrected every other word.

Finally, other techniques should be used to make correction not only part of the lesson, but also a more effective learning tool for the students. These techniques include:

-Deferring correction to the end of an activity

-Taking notes on typical mistakes made by many students

-Correcting only one type of error

-Giving students clues to the type of error they are making (in written work) but allowing them to correct the mistakes themselves

-Asking other students to remark on mistakes made and then explain the rules by themselves.

8 May 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Before the start of a new class I always inform my students that I will correct by form of repetition, and that I will only be correcting what is important at that time.  I also let them know that we learn through our mistakes.  For me, it is important to correct but, in a proper manner.  Praise is also necessary when the student answers correctly.

8 May 2009     

rozianne
United Kingdom

According to my Ss and their level and what I �m teaching at the time, I divide my correction into 3 categories.

1. Attempts - mistakes that are made because the S is TRYING to communicate sth and they don �t yet have the necessary language skills to do so.  Here I give lots of praise for attempting to communicate their ideas.  What �s the point in correcting things I haven �t taught yet?  Jumping on Ss attempts to communicate is very discouraging.

2. Errors - mistakes that are made on language areas that have already been taught.  Here I use a variety of correction techniques.  Each Ss needs their own correction technique. Sometimes I reformulate for them and model, hint at the grammar point, wink or make a facial expression, say "A good try but that �s not quite right" or sth similar.

3. Slips - mistakes that Ss make through carelessness but can self-correct on their own.

When doing fluency activities, I never correct to interrupt the flow but often jot down errors and make a selection of �the best � that I might write up on the board for attention at the end of an activity.  That way Ss don �t feel threatened individually as I try to make it an anonymous exercise.

But to help Ss when doing accuracy exercises I always use some gentle correction techniques.

In my experience Ss only feel embarrassed and threatened when making mistakes if the teachers themselves have created that atmosphere.

Correcting in the right way at the right time is essential.

8 May 2009     

Dalya
Kuwait

I am really apeechless

thank you all for posting all those replies in this short time

thank you all and thanks AB for the link ..

well, another point came up in my mind while i was reading your comments ..

a guy in the 1st page mentioned the habit problem

that �s one thing that I always keep in mind

I believe that delaying corrections is something that is very sensitive

if you delay a correction you will need a very strong way to correct the error when you decide to correct it

but if you correct it at least on the same day you can use a soft way to be sure you don �t attack the student

the problem is that we are talking about teenagers ( i �ll be teaching intermediate or highschool students)

this age is very scary .. and each generation is getting more and more sesitive

a word can shut off the student and make him hate the whole school

that �s the problem in my country (I �m not sure if this exists in somewhere else)

but as rozianne said ... the teacher is the one who creates the atmosphere

as i mentiones its also a must in my country to re-define many things

in my country teachers are there just to evaluate which is very bad

the student should always be right

that �s why they �re scared of making mistakes

I wish i could just make a change in my country

thank you all for helping me out

8 May 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Hi, you say "I wish i could just make a change in my country". 
Start with a change in your classroom... Eventually, others will follow.

If you think you �re too small to make a difference, spend the night with a mosquito... 

8 May 2009     

Dalya
Kuwait

I know what you �re saying ..

teachers in my country are so obligated with the "Teachers Guide"

so even creativity and change are limited

in the future when I get my job .. I �ll work towards a change in my classroom so I can, hopefully, change my society

thanks for passing by manoski (f)

9 May 2009     

< Previous   1    2