Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Jealous ???????    

Jealous ???????

miss noor
Palestine

Jealous ???????

Hi,

I want to say a sentence but I hope u help me to say it correctly

we can say I am jealous of my family and religion.

I want a positive meaning.
or Is there another adjective to use it in the previous sentence ???????????????

I hope u understand me

Thanks in advance

9 May 2009      

El-Samreyah
Egypt

I think I understand you.. but what you mean has to do with arabic culture only and I don �t think such meaning or concept exists in English.

9 May 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

I �m not sure what you want to say. Do you mean that you wish they would spend more time with you instead of with their religion? If so, you may say the following:

I am envious of the time my family spends worshipping because i need them, too.

Please let me know if this is right.

Carla

9 May 2009     

miss noor
Palestine

No,,,
Mean I like my family and religion very much and I can �t accept any one hurts or offend them

9 May 2009     

hekateros
Portugal

Do you mean "Protective"? "To be protective of someone/something"
Or do you mean "proud"?Ermm
Hope these adjectives help you.

9 May 2009     

Scheffer
Brazil

Hello miss,
I guess i got what you mean. I look up the word and found out that it is correct to say that you are jealous of somebody. In my first language we use this same "expression" (to be jealous of sb). It means that you like this person too much to let anybody damage him/her.
On the other hand, It would be enough saying "I care about my family..."
Hope I �ve solved your doubt. Let me know.

9 May 2009     

uaeeye2
United Arab Emirates

�I think she means that �she keens on her family and religion and defends them by any means.

9 May 2009     

Portugal

something like
 I �m proud of...   I �m too proud of...

It �s not as strong as I understand the meaning by the way you explain it ("I can�t accept anyone hurts or offends them"), but I guess it �s a cultural issue.

definitely not "jealous"

???

9 May 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

Miss Noor,
I see what you mean.Your sentence is correct and conveys the meaning you have in mind.
To be jealous of something you possess means to like it and to be careful in protecting it .
To be jealous of other people �s possessions means to be unhappy because they have something you want
Have a nice weekend

9 May 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Yes harim - that �s correct. To use the word �jealous � in this manner is quite old fashioned. I always think of the movie �Lord of the Rings � & Gollum. To be jealous in this way implies a more extreme desire to protect & keep than just liking.

If you want to use a positive expression you could use:

I love my family & religion.
I am protective of my family & religion.

ANy more ideas anyone?

10 May 2009     

douglas
United States

I agree with AB

Another, more "artistic" way to say (or imply) it would be "I am very passionate about..." (make sure you use "about" and not "with"!Shocked)

10 May 2009     

1    2    Next >