Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Basic English in 24 Hours (private lesson)    

Basic English in 24 Hours (private lesson)

cupidio
Turkey

Basic English in 24 Hours (private lesson)

I am trying to prepare a program which aims to teach Basic English in 24 hours. It will be private one-to-one lesson(6 hours a week).   Which materials & techniques should be used? Any videos or other resources that you can recommend ? What are your suggestions? I need brainstorming.  Thanx in advance for your replies.

10 May 2009      

jaanik
Australia

hello.
you are in turkey, and I work in a Turkish school in Australia.
But anyway, in learning another language myself, I find it useful to think of what it sounds like in my language. for example turkish word Kitab - book. key - tub  so I need to have a key to get into the tub - kitab.

you could do simalar things with teaching english.

10 May 2009     

Nazlis
Turkey

Hi cupidio,

I studied with my student for 3 mounths. First of all you can try not to speak Turkish.
It can be difficult at the firs step. And according to your student �s age, you can prepare worksheets. And lastly keep your smile. :)

10 May 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

The most important thing is greetings.  My wife is Chinese from Hong Kong and the first thing I learned in Cantonese was how to say �Hello �.  It is also good to learn �thank you � and �goodbye �.  There is not much you can learn in 24 hours that would be of real practical use outside of those things.  Self introduction is also useful. 

10 May 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

I disagree with some people who think that 24 hours is nothing.If it �s a one to one lesson, after 24 hours,the learner will be able to use basic English to talk about himself,his job,his family,his house,his habits,his likes and dislikes,the things he can do.......

Just manage your time,organize your material,motivate your learner.You �ll be surprised!
Have a good luck
Harim

10 May 2009     

cupidio
Turkey

Thank you all.

Harim... I 100% agree with you.

12 May 2009