Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Funniest Moments in Your Classroom?    

Funniest Moments in Your Classroom?

Pinky Makus
Canada

Funniest Moments in Your Classroom?

I just started reading this thread on Facebook....about funny or embarassing moments in the classroom.    If you can think of a funny moment to share please post it here.

I remember teaching an adult conversation class made up only of women.  I asked them if they could be invisible for one day, where would they go.  One woman told the whole class that she would go watch Tom Cruise taking a shower.  It was soo funny.  I didn´t expect that answer. 

Pinky

11 May 2009      

manonski (f)
Canada

I was really mad at my students for not getting in line quietly. I don �t know why but after a certain point in my speech, instead of saying please go get in line quietly, I told them to go take a bath. Priceless moment: them trying not to laugh at me because they thought I �d get madder and me trying not to start laughing because I did not want to lose face. Either way, it did not work, we all burst out laughing.

11 May 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I had a student once who said  he always has trouble with  customs.  I asked what the problem was and he told me that he is a trucker and his cargo is ash.  When he arrives at customs he is often asked what he has in his truck and he replies a load of hash.  The custom �s duty officer asks once again � �what are you carrying in your truck � � and he again replies � �a load of hash � �.  Because of his pronounciation between  ash and hash he always had problems.  He has now learned how to pronounce ash.

11 May 2009     

_babz
Canada

mine �s going to be hard to beat....and I was the cause, here goes:

During a reading....I couldn �t stop rubbing one of my eyes..

....a student asked me..."what �s wrong sir?"

and I replied: "oh nothing, I just lost a condom" instead of saying "contact"

students...laughed and laughed...

to this day, my students still remember, 3 years later..lol

11 May 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Well, looks like only Canadians have funny things happen to them...

11 May 2009     

Pinky Makus
Canada

Oh, yeah.  I just noticed that.  I need to think of some more. 

This was not funny at the time... but I was having an adult student read a list of words that each had the same amount of syllables.  I guess the words had a kind of soothing rhythm because the man fell asleep right there as he was reading.  (He was about 63 years old.)

11 May 2009     

missveronica
Argentina

Most of my emabarrasing moments are because Im clumsy

Once I was reading to my 4th graders and as I was walking around the class I tripped and fell, couldnt put my hand to stop the fall cause I had the book in my hands....COMPLETE SILENCE in the class and one std asked "Are you ok?" When I said "Yes" they all started laughing their heads off, of course me too

Playing "Duck and Goose" withmy second graders I was running to avoid being caught and I fell face to the ground...same situation

I also have lots of fun when my stds are having a test and they are really concentrated and they make funny faces or stick out their tongues, I just can help it

11 May 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Last week, I was doing a song/dance with my second graders. The phys. ed. teacher, who is across, came to make fun at us. The students started to ask him to dance with us, chanting "dance! dance!" He left to go back to his gym. To my surprise, the whole group followed him, chanting louder and adding some chicken sound. The librarian came to see what was going on because of the noise. He never danced but the kids had a really great time and so did I.

11 May 2009     

Anna P
Brazil

Once a kindergartener wrote RAPE! RAPE! RAPE! all over his paper in big colourful letters and wanted me to put his work on the Bulletin Board. I asked him to read it and he said it �s Happy! Happy! I �m happy because Halloween is coming! He was beginning to write and using �invented spelling � with a Brazilian accent!

And, Pinky, I am almost as "young" as your student but I won �t fall asleep while writing this!

Another funny thing happened with my youngest daughter. It was not in the classroom but I think it was cute. We were living in the US and the girls loved to choose cards to send to friends and relatives. Andrea was just beginning to read and was always trying to find appropriate cards for everybody. One day she came with a blank card, with nothing but some flowers and nothing written, and said that it was for grandpa. I told her that there were nice cards for grandfathers and that one had nothing on and she said, "But this is just for grandpa. It said "General". Isn �t grandpa a General?"

11 May 2009     

Pinky Makus
Canada

We are all young at heart aren �t we Anna?  I remember some years ago working with some preschoolers who had just learned the words for the male and female body parts.  They kept using the words in class of course, but they kept thinking that boys had "peanuts".  One mother came in one day and told us that her daughter told her that she wished she had a "peanut".  Her mother told her, "No you don �t.)  (I was just glad I wasn �t teaching that lesson.)

A few days ago my student was talking about mustaches and he asked me if I had one.  He studied my lip very closely.  I was hoping that he didn �t notice anything.

11 May 2009     

wolfy
Chile

The "hash" mispronounciation isn �t all that unusual, some parts of the UK (cockney in my case) have a pretty silent "h" so both sentences sound extremely similar if not identical:

I have a load of ash
I have a load of hash

the funny situations I �ve come across in classes I don �t think I could write them down here. �The famous mispronounciation of "breakfast" which I �m sure many here have heard is an example.

11 May 2009     

1    2    Next >