Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Lag bOmer    

Lag bOmer

eng789
Israel

Lag bOmer

Today is Lag Ba �Omer =bonfire night

Ourmedura_1

In Hebrew, the letters are used for counting. Lamed equals 30, Gimmel equals 3. The 33rd day of the Omer, is thus called "Lag".

The Omer

The Omer is a period of counting from the second night of Pesach/Passover for 50 days until the holiday of Shavuot. This is based upon the verse from Scripture: "you shall count for yourselves from the day after the festival rest, from the day you bring the Omer Sacrifice, seven full weeks shall they be. Until the day after these seven full weeks shall you count fifity days, and then you shall bring a New Offering to Me" (Leviticus 23:15-16). Although the offerings can no longer be brought without a Holy Temple, we count these days for many reasons even today.

During the Omer, there are no wedding ceremonies and  many religious people don �t cut their hair or shave. This custom is in commemoration of a tragic loss of 24,000 disciples of Rabbi Akiva who perished between Pesach and Shavuot.

Weeks before this holiday,  kids start collecting wood for their fire.  A lot of planning goes into where they will build the fire and what kind of food they want to eat.
People build large bonfires and sit around them most of the night singing and eating.  There is no school tomorrow because the kids are too tired from being at the fires.
                                  So, lucky me- I have the day off.

11 May 2009      

khaled69
Jordan

Clap

11 May 2009     

eng789
Israel

It �s our holiday - go find your own.

11 May 2009     

khaled69
Jordan

Thumbs Down

11 May 2009     

gilorit
Israel

Thank you Barbara
Enjoy Lag BaOmer !!!
I am going out soon... to have some potatoessssssss
Orit ;-)

11 May 2009     

khaled69
Jordan

for eng789
u r always polluting the site with  ur fake facts
just remember that this will not  be since for ever
all the world will discover ur lies as we do
its called ( alqods- palastine)
go and celebrate ur day in germany
its the right place to do that not ours
palastine is ours
khaled69

11 May 2009     

eng789
Israel

Have fun Orit,  don �t forget the marshmellows.

11 May 2009     

souzan82
Lebanon

YOU �VE STOLEN OURS

11 May 2009     

eng789
Israel

You live in Lebanon - there was a war and you lost.  Sorry!

This was his post -

you are celebrating ur fake day on our land miss

its called palastine palastine palastine
u must remember coz we will not forget it till we finished both of us
just remember u r equipieding out land palastine
and again u r trying to hurt our feelings
palastine is ours
khaled69

My fake day???????   We should go to Germany???

and I am the one out of line. 

You know what,  I �m digusted by the reaction here.  But, I will not forget.  I will stand-by with my - no religion -  no politics  - comments -  waiting for one of you to post something you are happy / proud about  ( like maybe a religious holiday or Independence day or Heroes Day)  because all those days can be hurtful to someone else. 

11 May 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

A truly religious person does not talk of revenge, but forgiveness and turning the other cheek. I think you �re hypocritical. Preaching one thing, but practising another.
You just CAN �T TAKE criticism.

11 May 2009     

eng789
Israel

Please do not assume you know me well enough to talk to me that way.  It isn �t revenge,  it is being one of the gang.  A part of this loving community.

Goodnight to all.

11 May 2009     

1    2    Next >