Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > ERRORS IN PRINTABLES    

ERRORS IN PRINTABLES

Lidiana73
Australia

ERRORS IN PRINTABLES

Firstly I want to say that without ESL Printables many times I would be lost for what to do in class.  Many times I download "just in case I need it" or "this will be good for next year!.  Unfortunately I also don �t have the time to check each and every printable for spelling and grammatical errors as I have 7 groups of students as well as many private one-to-one students  So you can imagine how busy I am as we all are which makes ESL Printables so special.

I am a little concerned at the fact that yesterday I used a worksheet I had downloaded in one of my lessons not realising it was full of grammatical and spellng errors.  The printable in itself was great but I had printed it out and then made 23 copies before realising the errors. 

Colleagues we must all be a bit more vigilant before uploading our printables because then this causes more work for those who download the printables which is the opposite of what this site aims to do.

Enjoy the rest of your week and keep the excellent work going.

12 May 2009      

life_line
Ukraine

well, all of us are people, and to err is human =) and I �m sure that everyone of us is always doing the best s/he can. I usually checkthe ws before printing out. Anyway,if it happens to me ( I mean when I see some mistake on a hard copy or students do) I tell the class that it was made on purpose to check how profound their knowledge is and whether they are attentive or not =) ans whoever corrects the mistake gets an extra point. This is a great solution of the problem. It looks as if it was meant to be that way. �I �t like a grammar/spelling �treasure-mistake hunt � =)

hope you can use the idea.

PS : if you �re teaching some new vocab, tell that the word that has a mistake is "obsolete" and they should know a new variant =)This way they correct a word and replace it with the new and correct one. That works too. Kids love using red pens and �correcting � teachers. This way they imitate YOU, a teacher that provided them with great material. And nobody cares if it �s immaculate or not. It �s great that we have access to all this incredible stuff.

Take care,�

Life_line

12 May 2009     

ignis.fatuus
Poland

errors happen to everyone. it �s the teacher �s responsibility to make sure the worksheet is all right. you should have at least read it before taking it to the classroom! i always read the whole page before printing, because we �re only humans...

12 May 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I would never give anything to a student that I hadn �t read first. 

How on earth can you judge quality and appropriateness of an activity if you haven �t read it first?

People are bound to make errors - it is only human to err.  It is the individual teachers responsibility to ensure they know what they are giving their students.

12 May 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I always check the worksheet before printing them because some vocabulary is different. (for example: we say pants, some people say trousers). Last week I uploaded a wonderful sheet from Mena about Mother �s day. (I believe it was Mena �s). I adapted it to make it fit with Canada instead of USA.

I agree that we have to be careful when we upload but errors are human and we all don �t have the same level of English.

12 May 2009     

bigbang
Portugal

I �m afraid Chiocciola was a bit ungrateful when she wrote that comment. She began by saying that without eslprintable she would sometimes be lostnot knowing what to do in clas, And then, there comes the complaint abour the amount of mistakes in the ws she xeroxed in a hurry without pre-reading. Upps...
First, mydear, you don �t look a gift horse in the mouth.
Then, if the ws was good as you say, it shouldn �t have mistakes; and, if it had typos, you should have read it beforehand.
You say these ws are a blessing since you lsck ideas, sometimes. Then you admit you don �t even read it carefully before using it. And then you advise us to be more careful about the eventual mistakes in our ws?

Am I a bitslow today or is there something wrong in all this?
Come on, Use and be grateful as we all are to have this endless source of ideas and materials to use as "tak-away" or as a prompt for further work.
Sorry, but sometimes people go too far, in my opinion.

12 May 2009     

bigbang
Portugal

As you can see, people do make mistakes; my previous message is fullof typos �cause I just didn �t re-read.

12 May 2009     

ignis.fatuus
Poland

:) exactly!

12 May 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Chiocciola,there are two things in which we totally agree: ESLprintables is special and we should do our very best not to upload a worksheet with mistakes. There are indeed worksheets full of mistakes, which I find unacceptable. I don �t download those worksheets. I don �t think you are ungrateful, much on the contrary, you would just like to be able to download a worksheet and take it to class, without checking,  when in a hurry. Well, my dear, let me tell you that throught my professional life there has been and there still is only one person, a teacher, whose work I can take with me to class without checking. I �m afraid you must find time to check the work before classes.

Have a good night.
mena

12 May 2009     

Lidiana73
Australia

It wasn �t meant to sound ungrateful on the contrary I am very grateful to all the teachers who contribute to this site and I am sure that even I have uploaded a printable with a typo.  It wasn �t meant to criticize anyone in fact some of the work I download I would not be able to do myself. 

It was just a reminder to all (including myself) to watch out not just for typos because we are all guilty of those every now and then but grammatical errors as well.  As life_line said to err is to human and hopefully in checking once more before uploading we can also learn from our mistakes.
If anyone took offense it wasn �t what I intended.

Have a great day

Chiocciola

13 May 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

nicely put chiocciola

13 May 2009