Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Discipline problerms in the classroom    

Discipline problerms in the classroom

missveronica
Argentina

I used to have a "Red Card", like football referees do. And everytime I caught somebody speaking Spanish I would give them the red card. The one who had it by the end of the class or the most times had to present a 5 minute oral lesson the following day on a topic I selected.

It improved behavior, since none wanted the extra HW and got them all to speaking English at once

Something that I found very useful too is to stick to the rules for quite some time, cause sometinmeswe feel so overwhelmed that we change the rules every class and they dont get used to them.

Providing some time every week to talk about whats goign on with/among them (even in their native language) is also useful since it releases pressure

Last, but not least, NEVER show that you "dont know what to do" cause they �ll see thru and make your life MISERABLE

Good Luck with them 

13 May 2009     

floris79
Chile

Hi Maggie
I also teach 8th grade at a school in Chile.�
Just like you i have had some dicipline problems. This year with a 1st grade (the same group i had as 8thgrade last year). I spoke with other teachers and they have the same problem. And becaus of the bad behavior the marks are very bad also. We spoke with the principle and the person in charge of dicipline in our school ( inspectora general): we decided to invite all parents and care takers of the group to explain that there is a dicipline problem and that they wont advance enough in english this way. We made an agreement with the parents and the kids that if they dont behave they will be diciplined dirictly. And that also the parents will be contacted everytime this happens. The group has improved a bit and we will see how it will go in time.
Succes with your kids.

13 May 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Some pointers when dealing with young teenagers that I have picked up:

1) Remember they are still just kids - you are the adult.
2) Your attitude walking in the room will set the tone for the class
3) Get the kids to set the rules - write them up and post them on the wall.  Make sure they are all written postively

eg.  We will stop, look and listen when the teacher is talking

- this is heaps better than

Don �t talk while the teacher is talking (avoid negatives - our brains are hardwired to ignore them).

4) Ensure you know your topic.  If you know what you are talking about - you will decrease waffle which turns kids off.

5) Think of how the kids can teach each other - everytime.

This means make your class interactive - what do the kids already know? how can you find out?  have them work in small groups 2-3 - not their friends - mix it up a bit.

Interactive ideas:
- team races to put facts or words on the board
- race against time to put words on paper.
- ask if you want more.

6) Always have a purpose for reading.  ASk the kids to find an answer to a question in every paragraph - do it one paragraph at a time - don �t tell them to sit and read - this leads to problems immediately. 

7) praise praise praise - there will be some kids who are awesome in your class.  Everytime someone is being a right little Censored praise a well behaved child.  Tell them what rule they are following.

8) revisit the rules - if a child is misbehaving ask them to come to the front of the class and read the rules again - then they have to tell you what rule they have been forgetting?  how can you help them to keep the rule?  What can they do to remember the rules?

9) Catch the brats being good.  Nothing like congratulating an annoying student on the way they entered the classroom quietly!  just watch their faces - it is classic.  You have just set them up as a good role model and they like it.

10) rewards are good - but really - fun teaching throughout the lesson is best.  Why bribe when you can just do?

13 May 2009     

missveronica
Argentina

Awesome post, back to basics never fails
THX

13 May 2009     

< Previous   1    2