Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Is it a Problem ???    

Is it a Problem ???

Dalya
Kuwait

Is it a Problem ???

Hi there teachers,

it �s me again..

I have 3 major problem but i �m not sure if they were problems you know what I mean

but i think they will influence my teaching after i graduate from college ..

when I present something to my collegues i always look at the very recognizable student in class

i try to look around the class and look at each collegue equally but i still focuz on 1 or 2 of them only

I �m afraid that this will develop in the future and make me treat my students differently and not give them equal chances to participate, for example, in class.

I try to look at them equally .. but when i do that .. i look at the whole class then look at the same person again its like i give himher priority over the others.

is that a problem ???

is it going to develop badly in the future ?

and how do i overcome this problem ?

the second problem is that, when i talk i speak a little bit too fast to be followed by younger EFL students

i always try to speak slower but when i get so into the topic i �m talking about, i forget that i have to speak slower ..

i feel also that i use even harder vocab ..

I know that speaking fast is a problem .. but is using harder vacab a problem ?

and how do i overcome these 3 difficulties i �m facing :(

13 May 2009      

cheezels
New Zealand

Hi there, I will try to answer your questions from my own perspective... (I have done it from you having a class of students not with fellow teaching trainees....
Favouring 1-2 students: Yes this is not ideal and could/would cause problems within your class. Mainly because students are very perceptive and they will know you are favouring 1-2 students and that will affect their own self esteem within your class. Depending on how many students are in your class make a note of names (different each time) that you are going to specifically look at/ praise/ask for ideas and opinions/ work with when doing independent work etc..
You will eventually become more aware of how important it is to acknowledge everyone in your class. Think back to how you felt if your teacher looked at you and praised you or asked your opinion.. you felt good right? You need to build this relationship with all of your students not just a couple.
**It could be at the moment that because you are overwhelmed or are lacking confidence so you look to the people with whom you feel more comfortable towards. This is definitely something you are going to have to work on as students can sense when a teacher has low confidence and it can create even more problems.
Slow talking: Well you already know you talk too fast so you are halfway there to solving  the problem. Nerves etc can all contribute. Again have confidence in yourself. Really listen to what you are saying. I always tell my students that if they find that I am talking too fast to please tell me and that I will not be offended and that it is ok. I do talk slowly, but what is slow for some can still be too fast for others in the class or group. Initially the first few sessions is all about getting to know the levels and capabilities of your students. You need to practice using short CLEAR easy sentences for when you are explaining how to understand or do something in English. This will come with practice. Also again, with vocabulary, keep it simple if that is the level you are teaching... you will learn through your mistakes just like everyone here has done and continues to do!
Good luck with your future teaching!

13 May 2009     

roneydirt
United States

On picking the same students over and over again.  The students have numbers so I pull numbers out of a bowl to ask questions.  I may put the numbers back in the bowl at random, so the students don �t know if they will be called again.  Picking your favorite students is a common thing.

problem 2.   Common problem as well.  If you have a co-teacher work out a way of letting each other know you are speaking too fast.  Have students let you know, by watching their faces, asking questions, resaying everything a couple times.

3...  Depends are you or will you be using a textbook?  If not then it may be a bigger problem but a workable problem.

Still do all three from time to time.  They are common problems just a little tuning here and there on lessons before hand to work out the bugs.  Then there is the first year jitters.

13 May 2009     

Fabiola Salinas
Argentina

Hi! I certainly agree with what has been mentioned before. The good thing about this , is that you are aware of it!!! So sth can be done! Ha! The answer to your questions have to do with EXPERIENCE! Remember, while teaching , you YOURSELF will notice if your sts are following you and your class or not , regardless the speed with which you speak or the people you always make participate!!
As for the speaking, also remember, you can communicate not only with your voice but also with gestures, movements, ... BODY language which can also help to reinforce sts � understanding!! Best of luck in your future teaching!!! Fabiola.

13 May 2009     

mendiv
United States

I �d like to point something that hasn �t been mentioned yet.  I think I understood that your experiences so far have been with your fellow students, not children.  Is that right?  If so, I think your problem of focusing on 1-2 faces may fix itself when you are actually working with a group of children.  When I was a student I was very nervous when presenting to my fellow students, so I looked more at people who I trusted.  They may have been giving me encouraging looks or neutral looks, but both helped me to get through the lesson.  When you are with a group of children, you won �t have those friends in the group.  All of the children will be about the same level of familiarity.  Plus, it is always harder, for me at least, to present to people my own age than to children. 
I really like the ideas in your other responses.  They are great ways to help you get over the nervous period and to become more comfortable in your new role as "teacher".  And, as stated before, being aware of the potential problems makes them easier to overcome.
Good luck in your new career!
Mendi

13 May 2009     

zailda
Brazil

I �ll tell you the techniques we use at "my" school.

To avoid choosing the same ss or that they get aware who the question will be directed to, we ask first and then choose a ss. They are in a big circle, so I choose the ss in front of my finger when I move the hand, whoever s/he is. We always use this order: question > student.

Second, talking fast (if it �s the normal native pace) it �s not a problem. Speaking slowly with ss - even the beginners - can be a problem in the future if they have to talk to a native. I use the natural intonation & speed and they get comfortable with it.

Using hard vocabulary is not a good techinique because they won �t understand. We use only the vocabulary they already know and make gestures when we have to use new words. We only use English in class so to introduce new words we use videos, flashcards, gestures and examples. Using words they don �t understand leads ss to frustration and they tend to lose interest.

We also teach them phrases like: "how do you say ... in English?" or "What �s the meaning of....?" to encourage them to use only English in class and grow a good vocabulary.

13 May 2009     

Dalya
Kuwait

Hello again teachers,

thank you all for posting your comments ..

let me discuss what you all said ^_^

Cheezels:

well, you said that i probably lack confidence so i look at the faces i feel comfortable looking at ... well maybe thats correct ..
but i don �t even know those people i keep looking at
but they are like the most impressive students (including me hehe) in class
so I kinda want THEM to understand me more than others
and THAT scares me ..
but i �ll try what you suggested ..

"Really listen to what you are saying"  <<< I love this sentence .. it would help me a lot .. I mean to always remember to actually listen to my self .. bcuz now when I try to remember what I said in previouse presentations .. I can �t remember . maybe its because I really don �t actually listen to what i �m saying .. my collegues do follow .. but i �m sure younger children won �t ..

thanks cheezels

roneydirt:

an answer to your question, well yes I should be using a text book ... ??

Fabiola :

yeah what �s good about me is that I do make mistakes but I �m always aware of it. I correct my self all the time and search for solutions if I don �t have one ..
bit this would make me a better teacher in the future right ? ;)

I believe you are right, I need experience. I need to involve my self more and more into situations like that "presenting infront of people" . I think it would help too

mendiv :

you are right. my experiences have been with collegues only .

ooh right, absolutely right it will get better because as you mentioned my students will be all in the same level of familiarity

that �s good to know :D

((I really like the ideas in your other responses.  They are great ways to help you get over the nervous period and to become more comfortable in your new role as "teacher". ))

thank you mendiv ... i �ll have them applied on me then hehe :)

thank you teachers again ^_^

13 May 2009     

Dalya
Kuwait

hi Zailda ^_^

I loved how you ask questions to your students i think it will help to have them all infront of me in a circle like that

you said i should speak with a normal speed .. :( unfortunately when I �m focued on the speed of my speech I talk in the normal speed but when I focus on the idea of what i �m saying I kind of forget to control the speed lol

but i �ll try to have better control of it .. i think i need to give the speed equal attention with the idea i �m discussing with my students

I loved the way you make your students tell you meaning of English words in English .. its great to make them familiar with new vocab and if i forgot and said a word they don �t know .. I will use that technique to help them understand me better ..

thanks for passing by ^_^

13 May 2009