Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help! Present perfect or past simple?    

Help! Present perfect or past simple?

CILB
Argentina

Help! Present perfect or past simple?

How would you complete this sentence?

After the boy ______ (get) hurt, the nurse ______ (put) a bandage on his arm.

Is it correct to say "After the boy has got hurt , the nurse put a bandage on his arm". Or do I have to use the past simple in both cases to express a sequence of events?

Thanks in advance!

Cecilia.

13 May 2009      

maayyaa
Slovenia

I would definitely use past simple in both gaps.  As you said, it expresses the sequence of events.
After the boy got hurt the nurse put a bandage on his arm.

13 May 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

Well first of all we are talking about two actions that happened in the past, right?
So � �after � � will introduce the first event in this case: � �The boy got hurt � �. And my second even is when � �the nurse put a badage on his arm � �.

So when arranging two actions happening in the past we should use � �past perfect � � to talk about the earlier action : � � the boy got hurt � �.
For instance, your sentence should look like this:

The boy got hurt. Then the nurse put a bandage on his arm.

After the boy had got/gotten hurt, the nurse put a bandage on his arm.

I dont understand the � �present perfect � � function on this type of sentence since the actio of getting hurt was set in a moment in the past.

*** After the boy got hurt, the nurse put a bandage on his arm´´ --> sounds better just ´´simple past both´´ . I think because we have the time expression already. ***

Miss Melissa. Hug

13 May 2009     

mamamima
Zimbabwe

I absolutely agree on the use of past simple for both verbs. In any case, the second option to me would be past perfect and then  simple past, rather.
regards
mamamima

13 May 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

Hi Cecilia,

Just use the simple past.

After the boy got hurt, the nurse put a bandage on his arm.

I always try to do a short conjugation in my mind:

I get hurt everyday.
I got hurt yesterday.
I have gotten hurt every month.

I hope this helps.

Carla

13 May 2009     

CILB
Argentina

Thank you so much! You are always really helpful Thumbs Up

13 May 2009     

CILB
Argentina

Thank you so much! You are always really helpful Thumbs Up

13 May 2009     

douglas
United States

We Americans would say:  " After the boy got hurt, the nurse put a bandage on his arm." but some "high-faluten �-know-it all" (no offense intended) might say "after the boy had gotten..."  and we would just laugh and think "Okay genius, but if you say it that way you �ll never have many friends."

Douglas

13 May 2009     

Abdelhadi
Morocco

Would you like please to define the word flauten? I �ve never heard it. Is that a slang word? Does it mean something like arrogant or someone pretending to know everything (know-it all as you stated)?

But I guess that the correct tense to be used in this sentence is the past perfect + simple past as MissMelissa12 mentioned before, So the sentence should be:

After the boy had got/gotten hurt, the nurse put a bandage on his arm

This is because we have two actions which happened in the past; one before the other. So (the past perfect + simple past) is more suitable than (the simple past + simple past). Here, I �m talking about what is correct according to grammar specifically. I can understand that sometimes some sentences may be correct grammatically; still, culturally speaking, they may have some specific connotations.

Correct me if I �m mistaken please

Thanx

AbdelhadiSmile

13 May 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Hi: Back home we would use after the boy had gotten hurt the nurse put a bandage on him.  Pas Perfect and Simple Past.  Douglas, I have a question for you.  I notice in the U.S.  in conversation they seem not to use the Perfect tenses as often as Canadians.  Do you know anything about this?

13 May 2009     

Zora
Canada

Giovanni - that�s cause they aren�t as high-faluten as us Canucks! LOL 

And Abdelhadi... "high faluten" is used when somebody thinks he �s better than others or somebody who likes to show off that he �s better than the rest of us. Someone who �s pompous or putting on airs..

13 May 2009     

1    2    Next >