Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > American accent vs English accent    

American accent vs English accent

mjotab
Spain

American accent vs English accent

There is a series of videos about the topic  like this one. My question to you, native speakers, is : are they true? Is it that way? Thanks again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCRHrVZc110

13 May 2009      

Zora
Canada

OMG... no, no, no.... that is so stereotypical!! My British friends sound nothing like that... some sounds might be similar but not like she �s trying to demonstrate... besides there are tons of accents in the UK! ... And really, nobody wants to talk like the Queen, do they?? It makes you sound - as Douglas said in another thread "high faluten"!!

Watch the videos but don �t take what she �s trying to teach very literally...

13 May 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I would totally agree with Linda.  I have several British friends and have yet to hear them speaking that way.  Then again, they don �t live in Buckingham Palace.

13 May 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

You should check out kiwi adverts - to get a really good accent on your students.

LOL
LOL

14 May 2009     

verybouncyperson
Spain

I really think they should rename the series "How NOT to speak with a British accent" - seriously, if you arrived in London speaking like that, people would laugh at you!

14 May 2009     

verybouncyperson
Spain

She sounds like Eliza Doolittle at the end of Pygmalion - posh Cockney!!!

14 May 2009