Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > I NEED SOME IDEAS!    

I NEED SOME IDEAS!

ignis.fatuus
Poland

I NEED SOME IDEAS!

Hi!
i really love some of your ideas and teaching tips so i decided to ask you for help!
i am a young teacher in a primary school, my learners are between 7 and 13. in two weeks time we �re going to have a guest in our school. i invited a british guy, a native speaker to visit them and tell them something about britain and so on...
anyway, i asked my learners to think of some ideas they would like to do during that lesson. some of them had really good ideas. apart from one class. they are generally a very disruptive group which causes problems and they aren �t motivated (probably some bad previous experiance...). so, the point is that i don �t know what to do with them during that lesson. the guy will spend with them two 45-minute lessons. i was thinking about some game they could play together, but they aren �t fluent in english... any ideas?
thanks in advance!

15 May 2009      

ignis.fatuus
Poland

p.s. this particular group in 13 years old, 15 people in the class, half boys, half girls, if that helps
;)

15 May 2009     

susiebelle
United States

I also have to deal with classroom misbehaviour, especially in this age group.  Hormones are raging during this time and the studentws want to assert themselves to cover for the lack of self-confidence most of them have.  

This disruptive class should have a different seating arrangement during the visit from the British guy. 

This upcoming visit seems to be stressing you out and believe me- the students will �soak up � some of that stress and act worse if you �re not careful.  A little bribery in the form of special privileges or something they would appreciate might help.  Good luck.

15 May 2009     

verybouncyperson
Spain

Idea 1
What about putting them in groups and getting them to do projects about British people they know...I �m thinking pop stars and actors rather than monarchs and politicians.  This way they can choose a personality who they like which might motivate them.

Assign each group a personality and then give your guest the information about each one.  When he comes, the students have to ask him questions to find out the information about their personality - you can make the questions simple (their birthplace, birthday, brothers and sisters, etc).  Then they can make posters about that person.

You could also do some work with music/film.  If they choose a singer, do a gap-fill activity with one of their songs. Or with an actor, play part of one of their films which students maybe have to answer questions about or create a dialogue for the scene if you play it without sound.

Idea 2
You could spend the lesson before thinking about the stereotype of British people and then when your guest comes they can find out how much is actually true.

Idea 3
Find out the similarities and differences between the two countries.  Get the students to write simple sentences and life in their country, then they can ask your guest if the same thing happens in the UK.

15 May 2009     

ignis.fatuus
Poland

fantastic ideas! thank you very much :)

15 May 2009     

PhilipR
Thailand

Put them in groups before the guest speaker arrives and let them come up with 2-3 questions they �d like to ask him.

Don �t worry to much, since students are often fascinated by foreigners and before you know it, time will be up. You might actually wish you had more time, as 45 minutes is quite a short time.

15 May 2009     

ASA3000
Egypt

You can also make use of their multiple intelligences. Some of them must be good at drawing, singing, acting (skit or so). Ask them to prepare something to show the visitor what they have (maybe something related to their culture).

Good luck.

15 May 2009     

esracinar
Turkey

Hi!
Even  you can encourage them to act like a reporter or as i the visitor is an very important person and kids can ask questions to him or her  -like a press confrerans-.
They can take notes and after that kids can write a small passage about the person they meet.

15 May 2009     

Roem
Chile

Hello, you just have to create groups with different objectives, for example one group can investigate about the life in british and other group can ask how was the guest �s life when he was 13 years old, another group can ask about some news that are happening in these days... something like this, the differents group ca teach to the others what questions they are going to do.

the second problem it is not so difficult, create a nice enviroment for exampleyour you just need to take control of the groups, take a look and identify the people who create problems and then give it to him the task to be in charge of the group and create a poster or another thing, some times the focus of the problems create the solution, when the others partenrs see that the rebel boy is working they start to work.    

15 May 2009     

abba
Spain

Don � worry, I have also had difficult groups, but you won �t have any problems because they are only 15 in the class and teenagers tend to behave when there is a guest. In fact, you will surely have problems to make them speak in English with your friend. When I have had somebody from abroad I have always worked in groups, teenagers want to know how are teenagers in other countries so they can prepare questions about british teenagers way of life and then make a poster showing similarities and differences. I hope it helps.

15 May 2009     

ignis.fatuus
Poland

thank you so much for all your ideas and advice! i really appreciate yout time :)
keep your fingers crossed
hugs
martyna

15 May 2009