Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Spanish or German?    

Spanish or German?

minimal70
Morocco

hello
most of the time when people want to learn a language they start with the basics such as every day routines or eating and sleeping habits, time and location.... without too much caring about the grammar.
As a linguist, let me tell you that all the languages seem to have the same universal grammatical aspects. however they differ in the options they provide the learner(s) with. for example in standard arabic or classical arabic, there is no problem in starting a sentence with a subject or a verb or an object, whereas this option is not born out in french or spanish where you must
start a sentence with a subject but not a verb unless you remove the subject sentence initially before the verb, and in this case you don �t call it a " subject" but a " topic or focus"
with german the situation is different since you have one position of the subject and two verbs positions like " ich mochte nach paris gehen" " i like to paris go" " i like to go to paris"
more clearly and syntactically speaking that is say in terms of grammar german is not less complicated than spanish. german belongs to germanic languages and spanish to romance languages. the grammar of german is harder than the one of spanish, but the vocabulary of spanish is richer than the one of german. yet both of them are nice to learn needless to say that spanish is widespread in the world so you got the possibilty to have more friends to talk to in spanish, but in german. it will be a plus if u could learn them both because you will have much more friends
good luck

16 May 2009     

Amna 107
United Arab Emirates

Hi minimal70,

I am confused because of two reasons:

1) The grammar in Spanish is easier than the grammar in German, and that is why I think that Spanish will be easier to learn.

2) German shares similarities with both Arabic and English, and therefore, it might be easier to learn!

That is why I can �t decide which language will be easier to learn!!

Thanks for your explanation :)

16 May 2009     

< Previous   1    2