Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > help me please    

help me please

polentinoy
Venezuela

help me please

HELLO TEACHERS FROM EVERYWHERE
I need to teach my students how to translate readings into spanish, do you have strategies, activities, ideas for doing it.. ( I�m sure you have them) thanks a lot.

16 May 2009      

Hanieh
Iran

Hi Polentinoy

The thing that I mention first while Im teaching translating is comprehension. The most important thing in a good translation is to understand the passage itself completely. Then you need to be good at Spanish literature too, in order to write a comprehensible translation. Sometimes translating word by word helps, but most of the time the translated passage doesnt make any sense. So I think you can help them improve their comprehension skills.

Hope it helps ;)
Hani

16 May 2009     

polentinoy
Venezuela

thanks a lot

16 May 2009     

verybouncyperson
Spain

A good activity you could try is double translation.

Split the class into groups and give half the groups a text in English and the other half the same text in Spanish.  They have to translate the texts and then give their translations to the other group who translate it back....

Group A have English Text 1.  They translate it into Spanish and give it to Group B who translate it into English.
Group B have Spanish Text 1 which they translate into English and give to Group A who translate it into Spanish.

They can then compare the translations with the original texts and discuss the sentence structure, vocab used, etc...

18 May 2009