Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Marking papers - HELP    

Marking papers - HELP

Mulle
Denmark

Marking papers - HELP

I am marking exam papers and all of a sudden I have come to worry about abbreviations. Is is correct to write CO2 (carbon dioxide) in a text? The student is supposed to write a speech on climate changes.
What would you say when delivering the speech? CO2 or carbon dioxide?

16 May 2009      

blizzard1
Denmark

Dear Mulle

I would say carbon dioxide as CO2 sounds the way it �s normally said in DK.

Hugs
Tisha

16 May 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Dear Mulle, I accept that in an informal language context, which is not the case. I would underline CO2.

Good work.
Hugs,
mena

16 May 2009     

evl422
United Kingdom

I have something of a Science background and I �d say that they �re both correct, with the following comments:
CO2: If you �re addressing a scientific audience, you �d be more likely to use abbreviations such as this.
Carbon dioxide: It sounds more formal, but you wouldn �t want to have to repeat it too often - you �d be more likely to switch to CO2 (3 syllables vs. 5) after the audience is clear that you �re talking about carbon dioxide (in the case that they are not familiar with the term).

16 May 2009     

Mulle
Denmark

Thank you for your explanation.

16 May 2009