Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Lessons from Movies!!!    

Lessons from Movies!!!

Nebal
Lebanon

Lessons from Movies!!!

Hi everybody,

Whether it �s a drama, comedy, love story, sci-fi, thriller, spiritual or action and adventure; movies are a universal medium that somehow touches our lives. Their messages linger in our minds and hearts and impact our lives in very meaningful and transformational ways.

Let �s share the lessons you  learned and how they help you look at life from a different view, learn more about yourself, laugh at yourself and have fun while doing it.

Well, though it �s not my favourite kind of movies, I learned a life lesson from the movie " The Matrix." Is it better to accept life as it is or be curious about what you believe and why you believe it!!!!

What about you??????

Have agreat weekend,
Nebal

Relaxing Kitty

16 May 2009      

mena22
Portugal

There are so many dear nebal... One that comes to my mind many times is Meryl Streep �s Sophie �s Choice. Sometimes we have to accept that we really don �t know what �s behind people �s actions and should be far more tolerant with them.

Hugs,
mena

P.S. Also, when I think life is not smiling at me, to put it in a nice way, I think of her "choice" and feel pretty lucky within my misery.

16 May 2009     

wakebeauty
Brazil

I DON �T REMEMBER THE NAME OF THE MOVIE, BUT IT �S THE STORY OF A schizophrenic man that goes to a restaurant and want the same waitress to serve him all the time, he lives in the same floor of a homosexual and then he is forced to help his neighbor taking care of his dog... then he also decides to help the waitress coz her son has some healthy problems... then he learns a great lesson!!! this film is AWSOME!!!!

The sentence from this film  that taught me a great lesson as a person and as a teacher is when he says to the waitress that is no longer aN ORDINARY waitress in his heart:
"YOU MAKE ME WANNA BE A BETTER PERSON" (more or less like that)

In the context of the film is very beautiful and strong as it is the whole film...

imagining us, ordinary teachers/people, inspiring a person  to be better, to be GREAT...

16 May 2009     

nejar
Peru

When I saw �THE HOURS � I heard Virginia Woolf say �You cannot find peace by avoiding life � and that has kept on my mind.  That reminds me that we will definitely run into all kinds of experiences and we should not be afraid of trying new things in life, because That �s life!

Have a great Saturday! Hug

Nelly

16 May 2009     

Aimee/S.
Israel

Very good movie indeed - It �s "As good as it gets" with Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt.
Talking about Jack Nicholson - I love "Wolf" and "Witches of Eastwick" - Incredibly powerful movies.
Oh, there are so many more... I love "The Godfather" and everything Al Pacino (The dream man! "Scent of a woman"! Wow! I �m in love with him - he �s truly sexy!) I love British actors too - Emma Thompson/ Kenneth Branagh / Hugh Laurie/ Colin Firth/ Stephen Fry ... I love the fact that they �re pretty much themselves when they act... and their accent, too!)
Enjoy your Saturday,
Aimee

16 May 2009     

Isabelucha
Portugal

Hi Nebal. Well one of my favourite films is "The boy in the striped pyjamas." You probably have heard about it, already, but from my point of view this is one of the most touching films I �ve ever seen. It �s about friendship, between a german boy (during WWII) and a jewish boy, and about not giving up on others. I think teaching is this, life is this, family is this. The important thing is looking at others just for what they have inside and help others feel better, no matter what. That �s what the film is about. And it touched more because recently I �ve taught in a Prison School and made a very good friend there. He �s special, despite whatever he did in the past..., and this film reminded me of our friendship, too.

16 May 2009     

annna
Slovenia

Hi, Wakebeauty!
I think you �re talking about Jack Nickolsons �s film As Good as It Gets (with Helen Hunt). Really a great film! Jack N. won an Oscar for the best actor in a leading role in 1997.
Have a nice time! Ana

16 May 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

I love the movie "Forrest Gump"... the movie itself is one big life lesson...Thumbs Up 

16 May 2009     

carinocitalgonzalez
Mexico

There are great movies which we can use in our classes to teach some values for example:

LORENZO �S OIL (KNOWLEDGE, STRUGGLES, STRENGTH)
SIMON BIRCH (SELFSTEEM, REASONS TO LIVE, FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE,  FRIENDSHIP)
THE MIGHTY (ABOUT FRIENDSHIP)
A WALK TO REMEMBER (LOVE IS LIKE THE WIND YOU CAN �T SEE IT BUT YOU CAN FEEL IT)
FACING OF THE GIANTS (NEVER GIVE UP, HAVE FAITH, TRUST)

I HAVE SHOWN THESE MOVIES TO MY STUDENTS, THEY LAUGH, CRY AND LEARN A LOT
I HOPE YOU TAKE A LOOK!!!!!!!!!
HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND
SINCERELY
CARI�O

16 May 2009     

pauguzman
Argentina

Well I love many movies, my favourite one is the Name of the Rose with Sean Connery( I love him!) but a movie that touch me was "Signs" with Mel Gibson and Joaquin Phoenix. I was wondering why some strange and sad things had happened to me . I was walking and thinking about them and suddenly I was at the front of a cinema. The movie that was went on was "Signs". I dont � why but I entered to the cinema so as not to think for a while but... it was on the other way around!!! It taught me that everything, even an illness happens for a reason, may be we wouldn �t know now , but later it would be more clear the panorama.....and certainly it was to me!!!!
warm regards from Argentina, PAULA

16 May 2009