Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Past simple, past continuous....without explaining the rules    

Past simple, past continuous....without explaining the rules

chiara72
United Arab Emirates

Past simple, past continuous....without explaining the rules

Hi everyone
I �ve just found this website, it looks great.  I �m training as a TESOL teacher and part of my training involves actually teaching a class of mixed ability hotel workers for an hour a week.  My tutor is pretty adamant that we stay away from explaining the rules and formulas which is making my latest lesson plan difficult to put together.  I have to explain the differences between past simple and past continuous but am having difficulty coming up with a way to present those differences in the absence of a rule.  Since i have nothing to contribute yet (or at least, of any significance,) I cant use the downloadables on this site.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
chiara

17 May 2009      

txellalalluna
Andorra

hi, chiara!

i tried to do that by explaining my students a story they would all be familiar with. i used little red riding hood. then, once they kind of understood that one was for situation and another one to explain something that happened within that situation  - yes, i know that �s not all of it - I used examples happening in the classroom to make it easier for those who seemed lost with little red riding hood. lots of miming :)

i was quite happy with how it all went and i hope it works for you. good luck.

17 May 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Hi Chiara! I �ve sent to your mail a text I �ve used with my intermediate classes which is perfect to make students understand and use both tenses without any need to specify rules. Hope it helps.

Have a nice day and WELCOME to this wonderful site!
mena

17 May 2009     

chiara72
United Arab Emirates

Thankyou both for your useful replies.  Mena, thankyou for the attachments, I shall take a look at them now.  I �m in the very early stages of teaching and I find the most difficult thing is kick starting the lessons.  Your help is appreciated.
chiara

17 May 2009