Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Being sick     

Being sick

Khadooy
United Arab Emirates

Being sick

Hello all,

I want to ask. If somebody said that s/he is sick. What do you say?

In my own language, we say as being translated directly: "You don �t see harm" or "God recovers you" and many other experssions. So i want to know what do you say in English.

Khadija

17 May 2009      

jmoponfire
United States

Usually people would say something like "I hope you get well soon" or perhaps "You should get some rest" or "I hope you feel better."

Jacob

17 May 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Well, it �s said this way : either" I hope you get well soon" or " I hope you feel better."

17 May 2009     

Khadooy
United Arab Emirates

Thanks for your reply Nebal..very nice of you indeed

17 May 2009     

Khadooy
United Arab Emirates

Thanks for your reply, jmoponfire 

17 May 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

"May you experience a speedy recovery." Most greeting cards say, "Get Well Soon."

17 May 2009     

susiebelle
United States

Being a native  American who has been teaching in an Arab country for a loooong time, I have become fluent in Arabic.  I can tell you that although there are lots of ways in English to say "get well soon", no English phrase  equals the beauty of the way this sentiment is expressed in Arabic.  I have often discussed this topic  with my classes- that the Arabic get-well lingo is so much more meaningful and there really is not an equal phrase in English. 

17 May 2009     

Khadooy
United Arab Emirates

Thanks a lot Sagman63 and Susiebelle...

Susiebelle..thanks a lot for your compliments...it is very nice of you indeed and of course each language has its own beauty...

I hope that you enjoy learning Arabic...it is true that it has lots of lovely phrases and sometimes you feel the beauty of it... so do continue learning Arabic and if you like I would be very happy to support you...

Khadija

17 May 2009