Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Greece    

Greece

sanchan
Spain

Greece

Do you guys teach American or British English in Greece?

18 May 2009      

mariamit
Greece

We teach both. In the state schools we teach British English but we are also told to accept American English as students are greatly influenced by TV series, films, tourists, etc. The books used currently, although are basically in Brit. English. Still, I guess individual teachers often use their own style so it would depend on that, too.

18 May 2009     

rozianne
United Kingdom

Yes, I agree.  We teach both.  Many Ss here take exams from both American and British examination boards. So they must be familiar with both.
However, Ss must be consistent in their use. If they use American spelling in their essays they must try to stick to it and not change to British spelling half way through and vice versa.

18 May 2009     

sanchan
Spain

thanx for the answers :)

they were really helpful!!

san.

18 May 2009     

Greek Professor
Greece

Hi sanchan.

Yes, since the kids for both types of exams they are taught American and British english...

18 May 2009     

manuelanunes3
Portugal

Hi

I teach British English and use British English accent but I always explain the differences between BrE and AmE when necessary.

Best wishes from Portugal
Manuela

18 May 2009     

ants
Switzerland

I do the same as you Manuela...I find there are so many films in American English that I have to teach some American words...especially with my teens who do watch television shows or American films in English with me.

The schools here use British English and get the students listening to British accents.
I think today, you need to learn both American and British words.Smile

18 May 2009     

sanchan
Spain

thank you all :)
I have a student that is going there on vacation  and she asked me that question, so I was wondering as well!
thanks again!

18 May 2009