Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Summer English Practice    

Summer English Practice

skittles
United States

Summer English Practice

The end of the school year is almost here and I am trying to come up with some activities my students can do during the summer.  They are in first grade (7 years old) and most have limited reading skills and little or no parent help.  I �m worried that with no practice over the summer my students will lose some of their skills.  Any ideas???

18 May 2009      

txellalalluna
Andorra

watch tv if they have the means to watch tv in english (i don �t know where you are teaching)

18 May 2009     

Anto29
Argentina

Perhaps you can ask them to watch 2 or 3 movies during their holidays (or you can make a list of possible movies they can watch) and then ask them to try to find the books related to the films. Disney, for example, has a good collection of movies and books. Finally, tell them that they have to create a binary opposition where the differences between movie and book will be present. I don �t know if it is too advance but it may help.
Thumbs Up  

18 May 2009     

Anto29
Argentina

Or simply to write something about the characters.

18 May 2009     

don�t know how to CANCEL this account
Belgium

Hi!
 Maybe you can ask them to prepare a small diary where they will be writing a little everyday during the holidays.  They can write what they are doing, have done/ or what they are going to do the next day.

So that when you see each other again they can go back to their book/diary and share with everyone else what they have done during the holidays. they should put the date in each page they start. They can draw in it, if they don �t know the words, They can choose when to write the diary, if before going to bed or in the morning,etc.
For example:
                                                                                                      Today is Monday, 14th July
                                                                                                             It �s very hot and sunny

"Today, we are going to go swimming" 

"yesterday, I went to the zoo with mum and my brother James."

Marianxxx

18 May 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

Maybe they can draw pictures that illustrate a book or even street signs they can read that they see during the summer. If you have time, you could make up some picture cards with words that they could put in order. I know that is a lot of work, but maybe they could help you by telling you what they plan to do this summer.

Smile

Carla

18 May 2009