Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > SONG BY THE KILLERS (HUMAN)    

SONG BY THE KILLERS (HUMAN)

yolprica
Spain

SONG BY THE KILLERS (HUMAN)

I �m going to play the song "HUman" to my 18 year old students and I �m not sure about what THE KILLERS mean by "Are we human or are we dancer?" It �s a great song but a little difficult to understand, don �t you think so?

The Killers - Human Lyrics

I did my best to notice
when the call came down the line
up to the platform of surrender
I was brought but I was kind
and sometimes I get nervous
when I see an open door

close your eyes, clear your heart

cut the cord
are we human or are we dancer
my sign is vital, my hands are cold
and I�m on my knees looking for the answer

pay my respects to grace and virtue
send my condolences to good
give my regards to soul and romance
they always did the best they could
and so long to devotion, you taught me everything I know
wave good bye, wish me well

you gotta let me go

will your system be alright
when you dream of home tonight
there is no message were receiving
let me know is your heart still beating

you�ve gotta let me know
are we human
or are we dancer

18 May 2009      

Kita19
Portugal

Hello yolprica!

First of all thanks a lot for remembering me of this great song! Before answering you, I went to the lyrics you posted and sang it Wink I LOVE this song!

I �ve already thought about your question too! And I always thought "dancer" meant not human in the sense we have no free will (we are like a puppet), we are just wandering around but that was only my thought. I searched in google to see if I could find something about it and found this (I hope it �s useful!):

"...as the adjective human it means free thinker. Meaning we can do what we want when we want. Dancer is refering to a puppet dancing on string. Having someone move you were they want you to go, Thinking for you, and living our life like a routine that is all planned out. If you listen to the other lyrics you can see that brandon is actually refering to a puppet. "Cut the cord" or let us free is esentially what he is saying."

Check out this video on youtube, where this person took his/her explanations from:

By the way, are you going to teach this song with any topic in particular? I �m curious, because I love the song. THanks!

Hug
Kita

18 May 2009     

yolprica
Spain

I like playing songs with different possible interpretations so that each student can give their opinion and apart from listening to good music, we can also talk about many different things.
Thanks for your help, I think you are right with that interpretation.

18 May 2009     

giovannademartin
Brazil

Look at what I �ve found: Wacko

"Initially there was confusion and debate over the line "Are we human, or are we dancer?" in the song �s chorus.[6] Debate raged across the internet over whether the lyrics said "denser" or "dancer", a misunderstanding which invoked conflicting interpretations of the song �s meaning.[7][8] Entertainment Weekly �s Pop Watch section called this line the "silliest lyrics of the week".[7] They were puzzled by the interpretation, stating "most dancers are generally human".[7] On the band �s official website, the biography section states that Flowers is singing "Are we human, or are we dancer?" and also says that the lyrics were inspired by a disparaging comment made by Hunter S. Thompson, where he stated America was raising "a generation of dancers".[9] In an interview with Rolling Stone, Flowers said that he was irritated over the confusion about the lyrics and also that fans were unhappy with the song �s dance beat: "It �s supposed to be a dance song, [the beat] goes with the chorus...If you can �t put that together, you �re an idiot. I just don �t get why there �s a confusion about it."[10] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_(The_Killers_song)

18 May 2009     

yolprica
Spain

Thanks a lot for your help
Kisses from Spain

18 May 2009     

giovannademartin
Brazil

Another one:

"are we human or are we dancer" means we are raising a generation of dancers making people afraid of stepping out of place and following their own beat. people were only following steps they were taught, and were taught not to change them. in the song �sometimes i get nervous when i see an open door� by this it means he is afraid to take different opportunities when they are presented to him because living in the US has made us all afraid to go against what we thought of all our lives .quote ..by hunter s.thompson

18 May 2009     

yolprica
Spain

That line was also difficult and with many possible interpretations but that one is perfect, thanks for all the trouble you �ve taken.

18 May 2009