Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > HELP    

HELP

igof
Portugal

HELP

Hello everyone...

I �m finishing my training year this week and my final observed lesson is this thursday. I �m teaching types of houses, rooms and furniture to a 7th grade class. I �ve been looking for sth interesting in books and online and nothing comes up. Can you give me any suggestions? I have lots of pictures of houses to complete with vocabulary but I need sth different. I can �t find any songs or poems or anything on this topic...

Thanks a lot
Big hug

Isabel

19 May 2009      

aftab57
United Kingdom

Have a look here.

19 May 2009     

Isabelucha
Portugal

Hi there Isabel. It �s funny because besides the name we have other things in common: my final observed lesson was also about that - houses and furniture. :-) well, I draw and cut a house and all the furniture in it (cartolina). when the day came i started by sticking the house in the blackboard, then I showed them the pieces I had drawn, i told them the name of that piece and one by one they went to board to fill the house with the furniture. it �s simple and they like it. how long will your lesson last?

19 May 2009     

Isabelucha
Portugal

check this out: http://www.eslprintables.com/powerpoint.asp?id=10535#this

19 May 2009     

Kita19
Portugal

Hello Isabel!

In my training year, I �ve also taught that subject (both in English and German) and it was also in the 7th grade.

Is your 7th grade level 3 or 1?

If it �s level 1 (this was my German class, but it works in English too or any other language): like Isabelucha, I �ve also made a house in cardboard (it opened like a window, the students could only see the outside of the house and were very curious how was the house inside! When I opened it, they could see each room... it �s difficult to explain better, but if you want I can take a photo and send it to you - just let me know if you want to). I �ve made a little film with a video camera with a person presenting her house ("Here is my bedroom.", etc.)

Then I showed the house and taught the rooms (you can also teach furniture with this...). The students came to the board then to stick the written words of the rooms in its right place. Then I made a simple worksheet just to match words and rooms.

If it �s level 3 (I taught Rooms and Furniture): I used a text from a book for children about some dolls moving house (where we could see some furniture), then worked the text and showed the rooms in a transparency to learn some furniture related to each room.

If you want, you can check all this material if you click on the following links:

Rooms to label the furniture and picture to discuss in the warming-up: http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=88727#this

I hope some of this can help you! Good luck for Thursday!!!!!!! Thumbs Up

Hug
Patr�cia

19 May 2009     

Apodo
Australia

Some of my younger students enjoy this game:

I ask them which rooms in the house they can name and write these on the board as column headings. eg: Bedroom, kitchen, living room, bathroom....
Then I ask the first student, �What is something you find in the bedroom? �
I write their answer in the bedroom column.
Then I ask the next student, �What is something found in the kitchen?

Continue round the class so each student has a turn at naming something in each room.

19 May 2009