Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > how can i assess my students speaking skill    

how can i assess my students speaking skill

Glamorous
United Arab Emirates

how can i assess my students speaking skill

hello everybody

i hope that you are all fine

i want to assess my students speaking skill ( they are young learners between 8-10 years old)

i want to use two tools to assess their speaking

and the two tools must be something that can be documented

i don�t know what kind of tools should i use

if i use paper and pencil test it doesn�t assess the speaking skill

unless if someone know how to use it to assess the speaking skill

so please could you give me any ideas i need them
and if you have any paper that i can you use

please send it to me

thanks in advanced Smile

17 Oct 2008      

JewellS
Thailand

Dear Glamorous

You could use a tape recorder to tape them giving a short speach or answering questions.
Hope that helps.

Jewell

17 Oct 2008     

manonski (f)
Canada

You have to take notes and observe since speaking does not leave traces like a written text. I don�t know what grade you teach but with my students, when I catch them speaking English, I put stickers on a sheet that they put on their desk. The more stickers I put, the more I�ve caught them speaking English. When a parent come to my class, the student explains why he or she has that much or very few stickers for specific activities.

Also, I regularly ask my students to assess themselves at the end of a speaking activity. Usually when they do a speaking activity, they also have a sheet where they can find resources to do the task. When they�re done, I ask them to color a circle on the sheet as a self evaluation: a green circle means they�ve only spoken English, a yellow one means they have spoken both English and the mother tongue and red means they�ve not tried at all. I go around the desk and if I strongly disagree with a self evaluation, I write a note beside the circle. My students know I�ll do that so they are pretty honest with their self evaluation.

Another way to observe is to have a class plan and take notes and observation on your plan when you see speaking  happening from students.

Hope this helps you!

18 Oct 2008