Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Quantifiers    

Quantifiers

caraina_22
Argentina

Quantifiers

Can anyone help me, please? Some students wrote sentences using quantifiers. I would like to have your opinion.

We�ll have to do this quickly because we haven�t got a lot of time.

Have you got any money on you?  Yes, but not a lot because I haven�t been to the bank yet.

In both cases I would�ve written MUCH but why? Are the ones above incorrect?
 A LOT is used only in positive statements?

And this one?

I usually read a lot of magazines, but not a lot of books.

Thanks for your help!!!!!

20 May 2009      

willkei
Poland

A lot can be use in negative �statements. I think that those sentences are correct.

20 May 2009     

gk25
Brazil

Hello! I also think that those sentences are correct. "A lot of", or "lots of" can be used for countable and uncountable nouns. For example: a lot of traffic, a lot of magazines, a lot of study, etc.

20 May 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

I know that �a lot of � is mainly used in affirmative sentences, and much and many in negative (that �s what grammars and course books say). It sounds better to me to say "we haven�t got much of time" than "a lot" ...
Let �s wait for a native ...

20 May 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

I haven �t got A LOT to say. lol  Yes, those sentences are correct.  �I haven �t got a lot of money=I haven �t got/don �t have much money. �  I see no problem with them.  If it is informal speech then it is fine. 

20 May 2009     

caraina_22
Argentina

Thanks to everybody!! As I said before, I would use MUCH. Maybe they can be used in informal speech but I don�t know if there is a grammatical explanation to it.... at least I couldn�t find any.
Thanks again!!! Have a nice day ;.)

20 May 2009     

caraina_22
Argentina

Thanks to everybody!! As I said before, I would use MUCH. Maybe they can be used in informal speech but I don�t know if there is a grammatical explanation to it.... at least I couldn�t find any.
Thanks again!!! Have a nice day ;.)

20 May 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

Spagman is right about it being informal Engish; but when writing a formal essay, they should write much and many. Actually, the more specific you can be the better the essay.
I hope this helps.

Carla

20 May 2009     

mendiv
United States

"A lot of" is definitely informal.  Most teachers ban using the phrase in writing to encourage students to find better words.  You can use it with just about anything.  It �s interchangeable with "much" or "many".  You need to watch out for using "of" with "much" or "many". 

I haven �t got a lot of time.  I haven �t got much time.

I have a lot of books.  I have many books.

Here �s an odd one:

Do you have very much pink paint left?
Yes, I have a lot of it.  (I wouldn �t say "I have very much of it.") 
No, I don �t have much left.  -or- No, I don �t have a lot left.

Uh-oh, I think I �m seeing the native in me come out here.  I hadn �t thought of a rule for using this with negative vs. positive sentences.  Sometimes I just know if it �s right or not, not why.

Hope I didn �t make this worse!

20 May 2009     

caraina_22
Argentina

THANK U VERY MUCH, hornec and mendiv!!!!!

20 May 2009