Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Defining/non defining clauses... :-s    

Defining/non defining clauses... :-s

Isabelucha
Portugal

Defining/non defining clauses... :-s

Should we use or not the commas... in the following sentence: "Kate, who has a brace on her teeth, didn �t like being photographed when she was twelve years old."
Thanx in advance. Smile

20 May 2009      

source
Turkey

we should use because it is non -defining , kate :)

20 May 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Once you are able to remove "who has a brace on her teeth" and the sentence still has a meaning, then you SHOULD put the commas. It �s a non-defining one. That �s what i used to do ... Smile

20 May 2009     

macomabi
Portugal

It is a non-defining relative clause, so you should use commas.
Best regards

20 May 2009     

Zora
Canada

It �s non-defining, so technically it needs the commas... also, people should keep in mind that in English our sentences tend to be shorter than is some languages. And therefore need that much overlooked punctuation.

I know that this might be off topic but I find that my students, who are Spanish, tend to write very loooong sentences with one or two commas. Why? Because in Spanish these types of sentence constructions are very common. I have seen sentences that are three or more lines long!!!! 

20 May 2009     

sirah
Argentina

Yes I agree,It �s a non- defining so you should use commas.

hugs

20 May 2009     

alex1968
Greece

Hi

If there is only ONE Kate, then you can use the commas because everyone will still know who you �re talking about. (non-defining)

If there are 2 or 3 Kates in your class, for example. and you want to show which one of the 2/3 then you wouldn �t add commas (defining clause)

I agree with Ivona...commas mean that you can remove the part between the commas and the meaning of the sentence will still be the same

20 May 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

What Zora says it is true. When I was taking a course  in THE uNIted States, my teacher used to tell me that and she said it was because of Spanish. I felt so frustrated at first because my essays were marked all over the page. I also had problems with the run - on sentences. Ayyy... I think I learnt how to use that but I know I still do the same and it looks so correct and natural to me. It �s something I need to work on!!

Miss Melissa. Hug

21 May 2009