Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > I NEED YOUR ADVICE...    

I NEED YOUR ADVICE...

ELMO.
Spain

I NEED YOUR ADVICE...

HI EVERYBODY!! HOPE YOU ARE OK. I AM PLANNING TO GO IN AUGUST TO NORTH AMERICA FOR 6 WEEKS. I AM STILL NOT SURE WHERE TO GO, I AM CONSIDERING THESE DESTINATIONS: CHICAGO, NEW YORK, SAN FRANCISCO, HAWAI, SAN DIEGO, VANCOUVER, MIAMI...  SO I WOULD LIKE PEOPLE WHO LIVE AROUND THESE DESTINATIONS TO GIVE ME THEIR OPINION ABOUT WHERE TO GO, WHY, WHICH ARE MORE SAFE...ETC AND I�D APPRECIATE A LOT IF YOU COULD RECOMMEND SOME CHEAP ACCOMODATION AND WHAT COMPANIES TO BUY CHEAP FLIGHTS. THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE. I REALLY NEED TO GET THIS INFORMATION BECAUSE I HAVE TO MAKE THE RESERVATION AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. THANKS AGAIN.

21 May 2009      

englishvalencia
Spain

You should visit Seattle and Portland, two of the most beautiful cities in America. They are clean, safe, and also have a bit of history. They are both surrounded by incredibly beautiful mountains and volcanos. There is a beautiful train between Seattle and Portland that goes alond the Puget Sound. �Buen viaje!

21 May 2009     

Rabinoshka
Russian Federation

Hi Elmo! You should definitely visit New York! It �s the American city I love the most (OK, San Fransisco is great, too ;0) ). If you choose to go there, I suggest you stay in Morningsdie Inn. It �s in Manhattan, West 107th Street. The place is reasonably priced, safe and friendly. You can choose a hostel-type room if you want to, or stay in a separate room (as I did), but share a bathroom with several other people. Don �t worry about this - our bathroom was cleaned every day, and so was my room, by the way. The hotel is only minutes away from Central park, Columbia university and two blocks from Broadway. If you want to learn more, here is their website: www.morningsideinn-ny.com

Also, once you �re in New York I really recommend buying a City Pass. It allows you to see the top six attractions of the city at a much cheaper price, and you won �t have to wait in lines. As far as I can remember, you can buy it at any museum, but once again, you could check online. I bought mine at the Natural History museum.

Good luck and have a wonderful trip!

21 May 2009     

emom13
Spain

All of the places that you want to visit are wonderful and have different things to see and experience.  As for cheap accommodations look into the Motel6 chain.  They are affordable and clean.  For cheap flights and other reservations look at sites like Travelcity and ebookers they have given me the best deals in the US.  I am originally from Michigan and even though I love my state I would not recommend visiting Detroit too much crime.  As for Chicago the boardwalk and downtown Chicago are worth seeing.  Also look into taking the Amtrack train system if you don �t want to drive or fly.  They have trains that go from NY to Washington DC and also across to California.  Not sure about the prices.  Remember six weeks goes by very quickly and there is lots to see in the US.

21 May 2009     

eng789
Israel

tripadvisor  is a great site for getting ideas about routes, hotels and sites etc. 

21 May 2009     

Mar (itxasobcn)
Spain

San Francisco is sooooooooooo beautiful. I love it!!!!!!!!!!

21 May 2009     

douglas
United States

I come from the west coast (California)--San Fransico is a definate must-see and just north of there, there is a redwood forest-GO SEE THE REDWOODS!!

The drive along the coast  between SF and L.A is breath taking (but it is about 9-10 hours).  If you try it, I recommend staying in Monterey or around San Simeon (Hearst Castle is a beautiful day tour in San Simeon).  If you have your heart set on San Diego I recommend visiting the mission in Capistrano (it is famous for the yearly migration of swallows).

otherwise:
New Orleans is a fun party city that gives you a good taste of the south (but stay in the tourist areas, the crime rate is high there).  It also has a very impressive shark tank in the aquarium there.

A personal recommendation: I think every person should experience Las Vegas one time in their life.  What the human race has built there is a wonder that, I believe,  will be compared to the wonders of the ancient world in a few thousands years.

Seattle is a very cool city too--I like their aquarium as well.

Boston has a lot of history (and a nice aquarium)

Hotels:  stay in known hotel chains, you will have the best luck.  I �m sorry, but I disagree about the Motel 6 -- I have stayed in a few that I was very dissatisfied with (I wished I had payed $20 more for a Comfort Inn or Best Western that included a breakfast bar and more amenities).

This sounds funny, but check the cities that have Hard Rock Cafes --they are usually the best cities to visit.  If you go to Hawaii, many poeple love the island of Kuwai, but if you are on Oahu--got to Haunama bay--it is beautiful ( I went diving there once, unbelieveable!)

Enjoy your trip, but quite honestly, it sounds like you may be trying to see too much in the time period Six weeks goes fast in the USA.  Remember the main land covers 4 time zones--that is a LOT of driving time!

Douglas

21 May 2009     

ELMO.
Spain

lol!!! now, I am more confused because I want to visit all the destinations!! they all sound great!!! thanks averybody to take some of your time to answer. I�d love to visit las vegas, that should be AMAZING!!!!! I hope I could. by the way, have you heard about EF company?? they offer a lot of courses and accomodation but I am not sure aobut their quality because I heard very bad comments on forums...

21 May 2009     

Rabinoshka
Russian Federation

I agree with Douglas about Motel6 - they can be OK, but they also can be horrible - and you don �t want your holiday in the US spoiled! ;0)

21 May 2009     

kmtr
United States

The US is HUGE and getting around the country efficiently could add up $$. I live here and there are big parts of the country I �ve never seen. You may need to focus a bit more-think about whether you want to stress yourself out by seeing as much as possible in 24 hours and then off to the next place, or if you �d rather stay in a region for longer and really get to know it better. You could do two legs of the journey-a west coast and an east coast division, having only one major plane flight to pay for. I think Washington DC is fabulous. There are so many great museums there. The Smithsonian Air and Space and the recent Native American museums are my favorites. I can return and return and return! I �ve only been to Chicago and San Francisco once, but I really did enjoy them. Just an FYI-the train system here is not nearly as efficient as the train system in Europe. There are trains, and you could get an overnight to travel/sleep multitask, but sometimes a train ticket is just as expensive as a plane ticket and much slower. Start planning by thinking what your main purpose is, if you have friends and family that you will see and what the "MUSTS" of the trip are. 6 weeks in a country is a blessing--HAVE FUN!!!!

21 May 2009     

Zora
Canada

If you stick to the West coast you can �t go wrong. You could start at San Francisco, drive (or fly)  to L.A. then onto  Portland or Seattle, then Vancouver and the Rockies... I would tell you not to miss this, they are simply amazing. I am from Calgary... about an hour and a half from them and they are magnificent, it �s worth the side trip.

With respect to hotels, I would stick to anything considered a three star. I have never really been too disappointed by them, and 4 stars are pricey for what you get sometimes. Also, Bed and Breakfasts are another option.

21 May 2009