Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > differentiated teaching    

differentiated teaching

fleur
Malta

differentiated teaching

Dear friends
our schools are encouraging the use of differentiated
teaching and learning methodology.
What are your views about this issue?
With how many children in class is this possible?
We do give individual attention to kids who have some
difficulties but on the whole it �s a whole group teaching
we use mostly during the day.
At primary/elementary level we have a single teacher
to teach a number of subjects per class with 20 - 30
children.
Thanks for sharing your views.

21 May 2009      

skittles
United States

Differenciated instruction is really benificial to the students but is definitley more work for the teachers.  I try to divide the work up into three different levels and have started by doing just one subject at a time- i don �t  think that it is something you can just do overnight.  I think the hardest part is finding an activity that students can do on their own while I am instructing another group of students. 

21 May 2009     

fleur
Malta

Dear skittles
thanks for your reply.
It surely is a hard task.
If you usually have three
groups how many children are
there per group?

21 May 2009     

kmtr
United States

Differentiated instruction is more work on the front end, but I think it pays off on the flipside because the children get more out of what you are doing. I do a lot of staff training at my school for the content teachers on how to differentiate for the English Language Learners. Don �t try to come up with 3 entirely different things. Take what you already are doing, and see how to make an easy, middle, hard version. For example, if you are learning about weather, choose three different leveled readers (there are a lot of great websites for leveled readers, like www.readinga-z.com) or add visuals to the sides of the readings to help with comprehension. If they are writing something, have the lower kids write a paragraph when the advanced kids are writing a page. If you are doing math, choose fewer problems for the lower students to practice. These are just some quick suggestions. Start with small adaptations. I think you will find it pays off and you will find new, creative ideas on how to modify what you are all ready doing.

27 May 2009