Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > HELP !! .... I ´ll present my first lesson    

HELP !! .... I ´ll present my first lesson

Dalya
Kuwait

HELP !! .... I ´ll present my first lesson

hi all

i �ll be presenting my first lesson on wed 27th of may

and i �m really scared and nervouse about it

it �s supposed to be a 20 minutes lesson (like a mini lesson)

actually the teacher wants to see how much we have of teaching inside of us you know what I mean ?

she didn �t teach us many things yet

we have to search and just be ourselves so that she can correct us

anyway I need some help with few things ..

I want to note that i �ll be  practicing teaching for grade 8 [ 13-14 years old student ]

-------------------------------------

1) Need a guide :

I don �t know if this applies to other countries but we have a Teacher �s Guide (which i don �t have at the moment)

it tells the teacher everything she should do and how she does it and how long it will take approximately to do it (its for those who are less creative, just to make sure that the students follow)

anyway since i don �t have that giude i don �t know where to start or how to start .

plz take a look here .. 

this is the half i �m going to present ..

the New Vocabulary that I have to introduce are [ complex, giant, exchanged, store, distribute, link, satellite, cable, poweful ]  you can see that not all of them  included in the first excercise

2) the problem is :

that i don �t know how to make a lesson plan !!

my drafts now are just the steps i �m going to follow .. [ that �s a lesson plan isn �t it ?hmmm ! ]

plz excuse me i �m going to tell you how am i going to present my half so that you can help if you don �t mind :

I �m thinking of asking them to open the book on the lesson page, then telling them to look at the picture and try to guess what the lesson is about and we will have a good discussion about the topic. (( 5 mins ))

then I thought I will make them try to guess the answers to the first excercise while i write the new vocabulary on the board [ they have to copy them in their notebooks ] (( 2 mins ))

then maybe i would give them examples on each word so they can guess the meaning and then match them with their corrrect definition (they �ll correct themselves then) . (( 3 mins ))

I �m thinking of using pictures to show my examples clearly

after that I would give more examples to help them get the meanings of the words that weren �t included in the excercises .. (( 2 mins ))

then i �ll let them work in pairs to answer the 2nd excercise (( 3 mins ))

I will let them read aloud after that and i �ll give a model reading for them so that we can answer the 3rd excercise [ correct pronunciation errors if they were any ] (( 5 mins ))

the objectives of the part i �ll be teaching :

the student will be able to :
- read an article
- discuss a question related to an article
- describe a topic

so what do you guys think ? :(

21 May 2009      

manonski (f)
Canada

When you introduce a topic, you can also start with a KWL chart (K=What I know, W=What I want to know and L= What I learned (after the unit))

What works for me is when I use a lot of visuals for key words. If students have to do a type of activity, I always model it first, bring a student in front of the class and do it with hime or her and only after they can do it on their own.
I always tell my students before the activity what I �ll be evaluating and observing. I try catching then doing something good. When I hear them speak English, I put stamp or miniature stickers on the page they are working on. The more stickers the more motivated they become.
If your students have to talk about an article, you can prepare prompts to put on the board such as " I agree with this part because..." "This reminds me of..." "This is interesting because..." "I believe that..."... This will get them started.

21 May 2009     

Rabinoshka
Russian Federation

Hi Dalya!

First of all, I don �t think you should be so nervous about it. You must relax and take it easy, because when a teacher gets so emotional, he/she always makes mistakes and students can feel  his/her nervousness. Remember, you know more English than they do, so, whatever you do nd however you do it, they will still benefit from your instruction.

Trying to guess the topic from the picture seems a good idea. It might be a bit difficult to get the students talking, especially if your part of the lesson comes first. I would prepare some very basic questions in advance (i.e. "How often do you use the Interent" and "Where do you use it"). You could actually do exercise 2 first - it would only be logical! Another idea to start the lesson would be brainstorming around the word "Internet". This could actually be quite a laugh. Write the word "Internet" on the board and make your students come up with various associations. These can be separated into nouns, adjective and even verbs (nice link to the following exercise). But be careful not to engage in a lengthy discussion, otherwise you �re going to run out of time. Tell them they will have more time for talking later, but now they need to learn some new vocabulary to make their discussion more meaningful.

If I were you, I would not make them try and guess the answers to the first exercise. There �s no way they can do it if there are no example sentences, they �ll just waste time. Instead, go through the words together first, then let them do the exercise and finally have them make example sentences or write some sentences yourself and make them fill the gaps with the verbs from exercise 1. This is important, because it lets them see how the words are used in context.

The previous steps are going to take 10-15  minutes minimum, so you �ll have just a little bit of time left for preteaching the rest of the vocabulary pieces. Since they are not in the book, you will have to make your own vocabulary exercise. Another option would be simply writing the words on the board, telling the students they are going to need them to understand the story.

Good luck and have fun teaching! Smile

21 May 2009     

Dalya
Kuwait

oooooh great ideaaaaa

thank you thank you very much manonski

21 May 2009     

Amna 107
United Arab Emirates

Hi Dalya!

I agree with Manonski and Rabinoshka. I just want to add that when you teach the students the new vocabulary, try to act it in front of the students, or ask them to act. For example, you can "exchange" books with one student to show the class how we exchange things. You can also "pass" a paper to someone, or ask one student to pass a pen to her classmate. You can also ask a student to "distribute" some papers to show the students how we distribute things, and so on.

Even if you are quite nervous, try not to show the students that. Talk confidently and make sure that all the materials you need are there. If something doesn �t go as planned, don �t be nervous, and you always can go a little bet away from the plan if you need to do so. 

Good luck :)

21 May 2009     

Dalya
Kuwait

rabinoshka

thank you very much it was very useful everything you said

thank you i �m taking notes now

21 May 2009     

Dalya
Kuwait

amna ..

useful information to act the vocabulary

thank you very much

21 May 2009     

magdita
Argentina

Hi Dalya: I agree with everyone. I just want to add something. Try not to start a lesson with Open the books. Instead try to motivate your students before. Bring pictures to pre teach the vocabulary. It can be very frustruating to read about soemthing and not being able to understand many words. After you pre teach the words, play some minutes using the words. For exams, write cards with the words you have to teach: e.g. DISTRIBUTE. Call a student and make him sit looking at the other students so that his back is leaning on the wall and place the card over his head so thtaa he can not look. The other sts have to give clues so that hfe can guess. You can also play miming games using the present Continuous. e.g. He is distributing the cards or you can also play tic-tac toe. Then, it will be easier for them to understand the task. 
Well, good luck and try to enjoy your first class!!!

21 May 2009     

Dalya
Kuwait

thank you magdita

question : can you please explain the tic tac toe game in vocabulary ?

but yes i think you are right i should start with opening the books ..

so i should start with the vocabulary first

maybe after that i can start with discussion and the book

i �m taking notes .. thank you for your help

21 May 2009     

miss noor
Palestine

Hi Dalya,

As I see  your lesson is reading, so there are many steps.

First, you should make an introduction for the text by using different pictures , questions and try to do pre-reading activity.

For me, I alway introduce most of the new vocabulary after the introduction by using different pictures or simple sentences.

Second, ask ur sts to read the passage silently to answer different qs. ( yes no Qs - True or false  - wh- question ) . it is important to Show thems the questions at first , then ask them to read the passage silently to find the answers.

Third, read the passage aloud. Then ask ur different sts to read different parts. Then explain each part.

fourth,  : you may use different kind of post-reading activity .

Good Luck

22 May 2009     

Dalya
Kuwait

Hi miss noor my friend :)

ooh you opened my eyes to something that i forgot !! that is the explanation of the text ..

well i �m lucky that my text is this short ..

and yes my part of the lesson focuses on reading and speaking mostly

thank you for your help girl, i �ll write your points in my note ^_^

22 May 2009