Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help!!!!    

Help!!!!

sabrinita08
Argentina

Help!!!!

Hello everybody!!! I am very worried about some Students � behavoiur. They are just 8 years old and the problem is that thay don �t pay to the teacher, even when she is teaching a new topic. Thay are not able to be silent. It �s a necessity for them to talk all the time... she tried to calm them down by bringing games, but listening to a song, but nothing worked!!! now, she is a kind of taugh teacher. she writes the names of the students who misbeheave on the board, and ask them to do extra activities... So she is a bit frustrated with the class. Besides, it �s her first experience as a teacher... I �m trying to help her.. So please if you have any suggestions, they will be welcomed!!!

A hug from Argentina

Sabri

22 May 2009      

verybouncyperson
Spain

I saw an idea somewhere of having good behaviour points.  Whenever a student behaves well, write their name on a piece of paper and stick it in a hat. At the end of the week, draw one name out of the hat and that person wins a prize (a pencil or a notebook - nothing extravagant!)  That way, the better behaved they are, the more chances they have to win.  You could also count up all the names in the hat and give a student a sweet for every time their name is in there - that way the students who are well-behaved will get a reward even if they don �t win the prize.

Another option is to put the class in teams and for each team draw a bar on the board.  Every time they misbehave, wipe a bit of the bar off.  At the end of the lesson, you could either give sweets to the best team, or convert it into a points system and give a prize to the team with the most ponts at the end of the month.

T :)

22 May 2009     

Mariethe House
France

she may have a look at this.

http://www.eslprintables.com/buscador/buscar.asp?nivel=any&age=0&tipo=any&contents=behaviour&B1=Search#thetop

22 May 2009     

ants
Switzerland

I have a system with sticker pages from MES and stickers and I find the kids are more motivated with this system then with others that I �ve tried in the past.

Mind you, I teach English after school hours...nevertheless discipline is still important.Smile
Without discipline in the classroom, no one learns.
My kids now play games or work harder to fill up their sticker pages with fun stickers.
I find they no longer ask for sweets or anything else and do pay more attention.
The very best of luck!!Smile

22 May 2009     

Dalya
Kuwait

my idea would be to involve those active sts into the teaching process

like have some of them hold some papers and distribute them

change the slides on the over head projector maybe

just get some of them involved and the others will pay attention on their friends in front of them you know what I mean ?

22 May 2009     

libertybelle
United States

I agree with all the good ideas here.
Ivona has a lot of teaching methods that keep the young ones busy.
Lots of small children has excess energy and just sitting is a real problem
Teaching methods where kids are physically active are good ways of teaching and
also meeting the demands of these  types of students.
Try checking out or write a personal message to Ivona - she can really help.
L

22 May 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

By writing naughty children �s name on the board - she is reinforcing this negative behaviour. 

I would suggest writing the good childrens names on the board - and reward them with some games, computer activities, or other privileges.  They are eight - any reward you like will do.

I have a ratty old fox that children compete for - they love it!  I also use cushion privileges - computer games (all educational) free choice (from the reading games). etc

ignore the naughty focus on the good and you will be amazed at how quickly they behave.

Oh year - don �t point out to them what you are doing.  Just everytime you want to tell someone off - look for someone doing the right thing and praise them.

22 May 2009     

JMDe
Argentina

Dear Sabrina:

After having tried almost everything in my classes for better behaviour, I came to realize the best option is not to be on the negative side with them. Praise the good behaviour! Those who misbehave will realize sooner or later that their attitude will lead them to nothing. I use a system of stars. At the end of a class, the students who have behaved well are awarded a star. The first student or students who collect five stars get a prize. I do it at the end of a class to keep them well behaved during the whole class and not just for a while. I also tell them what I exactly expect from them. For example, speaking English in class as much as possible gives them a chance to get a star. Not shouting and being polite with their classmates and their teacher will also give them a good chance. Participating in class as much as possible is also my rule for them. You can think of your own rules and be clear and consistent about them. This is kind of similar to the systems mentioned before. It really works! The important thing is to be positive about it and consistent! You really have to remember to do this every class. Give it a try! I �m sure you �ll have good results!

good luck!

JMDe

22 May 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

I �love to see the way that colleagues rally to help one another here . It is fantastic. I agree with what libertybell suggests aboutasking Ivona for some ideas. But I do not think that she can respond today as this is her BIG day . She is doing her presentation in Novi Sad in Serbia at an ELTA conference. Let �s all hope that it will be a hugeSmile success for her. Three cheers for bubbly Ivona.Thumbs Up

23 May 2009     

sabrinita08
Argentina

Thanks everybody for your suggestions!!!!

I really appreciate them!!!

A hug!!!

Sabri

24 May 2009