Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Working with videos!!    

Working with videos!!

johanne23232
Israel

Hello Melissa, I just want to add one more thought to all the responses. Throughout the many years I �ve been teaching I often found that although I had invested a huge amount of time work and energy in FUN, diverse and imaginative lessons, some of the kids were still �bored � and yet at times when I walked the straight and narrow road of frontal teaching, grammar exercises etc, they were all attentive and happy! In other words, the degree of their satisfaction isn �t always directly related to what WE as teachers foresee as fun and exciting.  Just remember to project self-confidence and reply with a smile........and eventually you �ll develop thicker skin and wo �t let it affect you toooooooo much (that being said I don �t mean you shouldn �t pay attention to your students � feedback).
Good luck and chin up! Things will look better tomorrow
! Thumbs Up

22 May 2009     

don�t know how to CANCEL this account
Belgium

Hello Melissa! Don �t feel discouraged! I know how you feel that �s why this year I don �t work as much as I used to, I have less courses and of course less money.... and even time to spend in this website which is great!.. I �ve learnt a lot by reading the posts!... Now I have more time to prepare better things and I don �t fell soo stressed. Of course it is harder if you are going through difficult times. But don �t let student �s comments affect you and make you feel you are not doing a good job just because you don �t �entertain � them! Remember that children always want to sing and play for instance. And adolescents are almost always  dissatisfied with everything. But they need to learn to study grammar. English is fun, of course. but we can �t learn how to use grammar properly by just jumping up and down and watching videos.. This is something extra.

I use download helper to dowload videos from youtube (you can google it and install it on your pc) and getthatsong.org  to search for lyrics... for instance you want to search for lyrics with the structure "should have been" and the system shows you all the songs that use that structure in their lyrics.. then you choose the one you like and that �s it.
Just an idea:
You can play bingo with songs with your students... For example... you can use songs which mention names like:
Barbara Ann (The Beach Boys) - Gloria (Laura Bragain) - Jenny (Falco) - Amanda (Boston) - Carrie (europe) - Amie (Damien Rice) - Angie (The Rolling Stones) - Diana (Paul Anka) - Michelle (The Beatles) Layla (Eric Clapton)... Suzana (Art Company)...

Well, and many more....
What you do then is, you make a grid, and give this list to students... they have to choose the names they think they will hear.... then you play the cd, or if you have a laptop, you play just a part of one, (not the whole song) then the next and so on... Students have to listen carefully for these names in the songs! Maybe you won �t practice any grammar on this but you will practice listening skills... and make them enjoy the music.. and go home with a nice feeling!  

I hope this helps!..
hugs!

22 May 2009     

sanchan
Spain

I use videos in most of my classes.
With the adults that come to learn English I always play some dvd of Tv shows they like.
They love Friends and it�s a great Tv show to make them talk and enjoy the class.

22 May 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

Hello everybody,

Thank you all for your suggestions, and support.
You really made me dust my self up and keep working.
Thank you bunches!!!

Miss Melissa. Hug

23 May 2009     

< Previous   1    2