Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Effective Mehtods of Teaching English: Your ideas?    

Effective Mehtods of Teaching English: Your ideas?

Lana.
Ireland

Effective Mehtods of Teaching English: Your ideas?

Dear Teachers,

I would love to find out more about methods that in your experience have probed to be the most effective. Methods that really help people

- remember,
- get to use,
- concentrate during the class,
- switch to the correct pronunciation and structures
  instead of habitual erroneous ones,
- etc...

Even be it a crazy idea, would you please share it?

I �m very open-minded and am constantly seeking to experience something new.

In my classes I like to bring in the element of the unexpected, so students are alert and their minds are engaged. Also, I change activities a lot, and believe that quantity will one day turn into quality.

What can you advise me?

Thanks a lot to all in advance!

22 May 2009      

manonski (f)
Canada

When it comes to writing, I always write one example with my kids first. Then together, we review our text, go back to the expectations, make some changes if necessary.
After doing that, I ask my students to write their own text and I make sure our example and the evaluation criteria are available to them.

When it come to speaking, I find it hard to evaluate because it does not leave traces. What I do is I buy small stickers from the dollar store and when they do a speaking activity, usually they have a sheet with the language to be used and I give them stickers everytime I hear them speak English. Some students get a lot of them and they are really proud to tell their parents the meaning of their meaning.

22 May 2009     

gloriawpai
Brazil

I think role plays and songs/raps are good for remembering and for pronunciation. 

22 May 2009     

Missfrancisca
Spain

I also believe that quantity is very important but my collegues don �t think so. Another subject that surprises me it is that now the new methological trend is to focus on tasks but I can see how we continue setting grammar test for students that I also set. Though recently I am focusing more on reading test. I don �t know what do you think about that? I think your topic is really interesting I would like to know how other teachers get the students attention and encourage them to work. Lots of love Paqui

22 May 2009     

verybouncyperson
Spain

You need to try and use a range of techniques which will help the different types of learner - songs will be a great way for aural learners to learn and remember topics, whereas visual learners will benefit more from pictures, and so on.  It �s just a case of using all the different techniques (probably not in every lesson) to help them.

I also find it helps students to see the similarities and differences between English and L1 and can help them to unerstand a grammar point more easily.

T :)

23 May 2009