Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Concerning deleted worksheets    

Concerning deleted worksheets

yogiba61
Spain

Concerning deleted worksheets

Dear teachers,

I �me very upset, two of my worksheets have been deleted.
I think a few teachers here are very intolerant, they don �t care about students with special needs. I explaind in my worksheets that  students had some learning disorders, down�s syndrom and autism. The activities are in English and Spanish because they haven�t done anything in English before. Their previous teachers have never tought them any English and they were all the time painting. I think that painting is ok when they are little, but don �t forget they are 12-16 years old. They go very slow but at least they have learned some English. As I said in the comments "It is sometimes difficult to work with these students in the class because the classes are crowded and you can�t pay them much attention", they have to work on their own and if they have the instructions is Spanish they understand the activity better. We are supposed to be English teachers and I cannot undrstand why some teachers can �t understand simple grammar points like "personal pronouns" or "the verb to be", I �m sure they can use they own language if they want. Perhaps they have to work very much if they have to do that. I know the rules: "everything in English" but there are some exceptions, we can �t be so purist.

I appreciate the support "Urpillay" and "ladybird" gave me. Thank you very much indeed!!!

Stob being intolerant, please!!! Give my students a chance!!! Have a nice sleep!!!

25 May 2009      

manonski (f)
Canada

I �m sorry your worksheets got deleted. The rules of bilingual sheets is not that clear but it does say in one section that only sheets in English are accepted so the people who reported or voted to remove were not necessarily intolerent like you said. They were voting according to what they understand from the rules.
You say "I know the rules: "everything in English" but there are some exceptions, we can �t be so purist." If you get an exception, you do realize that a lot of people here will want an exception too. 

25 May 2009     

rozianne
United Kingdom

OK Here �s my take on this.  It seems from the comments made that you have made lovely worksheets with instructions in Spanish and for very valid reasons - because those are your Ss needs.

However, if I downloaded the ws (I don �t speak Spanish at all) I wouldn �t know what to say to my Ss.

So, maybe a possible solution could be to keep a copy for yourself as you wish with the instructions in Spanish and edit a copy of that with instructions in English to upload here.

Then, I for example, can translate those instructions into Greek for my Ss and everyone else can do the same for their respective languages.

I have uploaded some ws that included Greek, but I edited it out because I knew it would be use to only a small minority of members here.  It �s the same thing, isn �t it?

English is the common language of this community and things could get very complicated if we all wrote bilingual ws.

I don �t think it �s about being intolerant yogibar, it �s just about being able share in a common language.

Of course everyone wishes the best for your Ss!  I �m sure about that!

25 May 2009     

ShirleyJ
United Kingdom

I think that anyone - whoever they may be - who wants/needs to comment on another persons WS should not be able to do so without signing their name.  This may prevent people being overzealous in their action / comments, and also ensure appropriate language is used.. after all there is no need to be rude..  If you have to sign your name for all to see this may prevent the worst..

I agree with rozianne about the WSs... I leave a space for students to fill in the translations, but wouldn �t upload with the Spanish translations in place as this would make the WS unusable to a lot of teachers...

Best wishes to all x

25 May 2009     

Zora
Canada

I see it this way "A worksheet in English" means just that. It is about learning the English language and not German, French or Chinese.

I also think that if the worksheet had the instructions in BOTH English and the another language then why not admit it??? The instructions can be erased, no? In fact, there is one member here who does just that, (I will not say who because I don�t want some zealot reporting this person�s work. Also, I love this person�s work so I can only say keep up the good job Smile ...)  - He/She puts the instructions in both English and his/her mother tongue... and when I download them, I just erase the other language... not a hard thing to do at all...

So... I think that we do need to think logically before reporting things. A worksheet that is half and half is not okay... but one that has a little first language should be OK. The person should just stipulated that in the description and then, if you aren�t interested in a worksheet that has some German or French in it, you don�t download it.

25 May 2009