Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Ideas for writing work    

Ideas for writing work

yolprica
Spain

Ideas for writing work

Can anybody give me any ideas for my 14-16 year old students writing work?
I have already made them write an invented interview, a relative �s biography, a tall story, a short tale, about their lives, hobbies, what they usually do, what they did last summer, what their dreams for the future are. I am now short of ideas.
Thanks in advance
Yolanda

25 May 2009      

-eva
Spain

Hi Yolanda,
Have you tried "a review of a film, book, (fast-food/ fave) restaurant"; or else "an email to a friend". Perhaps "advantages and disadvantages of... beign a teenager"?
I hope it helps, cheers,
Eva

25 May 2009     

yolprica
Spain

Hi Eva,
I think that the "advantages and disadvantages of being a teenager" composition is great because we can have a little bit of fun. Thanks a lot
Yolanda

26 May 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

You may also find some ideas here.

26 May 2009     

anaisabel001
Spain

You can try an opinion essay about graffiti ,how can we protect our planet,taking a gap year ...
You can also suggest the description of their favourite place or the description of a person they admire.
Hugs.
Ana

26 May 2009     

Popina
Uruguay

hI DEAR YOLANDA. I USE WRITINGS A LOT WITH MY TEENS AND LET ME TELL YOU THE ONES THEY REALLY LIKE:
1- TITLE: "I�M YOUR FORTUNE TELLER" After the unit on future, I have them write  two or three paragraphs about their classmates future. They love to make predictions on themselves. Great ideas come out.
2- "My very own biography" You tell them that  they have to write a complete detailed biography on themselves, since the day they were sorn til the day and how they died. They are thrilles with the idea and of course they always ask to keep the task.
3- " All about me" The title suggests it. They write everything they want about themselves
4- " My other me" it�s a big winner with all my students. you ask them to imagine they are someone else and to write about their life. They adore these topic. A lot comes out as you can imagine.
Hope you can use my ideas . If you have any other question shoot. Every year I have my students to create a portfolio and I always try to create new topics for them.

26 May 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

I like to show movies, and have  them write about a topic from the movie. For example, we watch Second-Hand Lions, and then we talk about physical and emotional survival. They have to choose three characters and tell whether they survived physically, emotionally, or both. (It is a comedy.) I hope this helps.

Carla

26 May 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

A variation of Popina �s suggestion:
One of the variations is using photos. You can ask your students to bring photos from different periods of their lives, from birth up till now, and write their (imagined) biography. They place the pics in a photo album and insert descriptions/stories that would go with the photos. After that, they can share their �booklets � with the others.
I �ve done it and they loved learning about each other. They especially laughed at the nude pics from the period when they were babies and bathing in the sea, for example. Or there were some students picking nose in the pics ...

26 May 2009     

yolprica
Spain

Thank you very much for your wonderful ideas. It �s incredible how helful you all can be.
Hugs from Spain
Yolanda

26 May 2009