Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > SUMMATIVE EVALUATION    

SUMMATIVE EVALUATION

txellalalluna
Andorra

SUMMATIVE EVALUATION

could i use this term in my course programme?

what i �m trying to say by summative evaluation is: taking into account when assessing the multiple activities and attitudes that are not part of a test, project, etc. just participation in class, doing exercises...

i �m not sure it �s an acceptable term.

does anyone know?

thanks!!

26 May 2009      

mariamit
Greece

Summative evaluation is used to describe what learners have learnt at a given time  and to  sumup what been learnt up to that moment. If you want to assess the students � feedback I think you should use the term formative evaluation.

26 May 2009     

txellalalluna
Andorra

thanks, mariamit!
that was so quick and helpful!!!
thanks a lot.

26 May 2009     

altan_neu
Turkey

there are three types of evaluation, they are normatif, formative and summative. Normatif is at the begining of the the teaching poragramme to see the students knowledge before teaching. formative is applied during educatıon to give feedback and at the end summative evoluatıon ıs applıed to see how they have learned. we can say such a final exam for instance.

26 May 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

Hi altan_neu,

I �m confused by the term "normatif." I have have always heard of "pre-assessment." When is this new term used? Is it a different language? I �m honestly puzzled. Thank you.

Carla

26 May 2009     

Denisa
Romania

I think what altan wants to say by "normative" is in fact "predictive". Isn �t it??..

26 May 2009     

txellalalluna
Andorra

well, after this discussion i �ve got my ideas a lot clearer than before, thanks a lot.
what altan_neu calls normative is what i call initial assessment, i guess there must be different names for a very similar thing.

thanks everyone!!!

26 May 2009