Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Urgent...Please...    

Urgent...Please...

muger
Turkey

Urgent...Please...

Hi everbody...
Could you explain to me which tenses can be used after �while �
Is this sentence correct?

You shouldn �t listen to music while you study.

or should this be like this only?

You shouldn �t listen to music while you are studying

Thanks a lot..:))

26 May 2009      

altan_neu
Turkey

whıle you are studyıng.     after whıle we should use continious

26 May 2009     

nurgul
Turkey

hi! you can use present or past simple continuous after �while �so the second sentence is more suitable:)

26 May 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

Hi,

It depends on what the person is doing right now. For example, if you see a student listening to music while he is studying, then you want to say, "You shouldn �t listen to music while you are studying." However, if a student failed a test, you would say, "You shouldn �t listen to music while you study," which tells the student that this should be a rule all the time. It really depends on your intention is . I hope this helps.

Carla

26 May 2009     

muger
Turkey

I �ve also found out that as two actions happen at the same time,either continuous or simple forms can be used after while both in past and present. However,if while is used as a preposition it is followed by gerunds, so this could be causing sort of confusion I guess.

26 May 2009     

bayramd
Turkey

Hey there..If you are going to teach this structure for the SBS exam, the answer is defintely �present con �. however, while can be follwed either by simple past or past cont.

26 May 2009     

muger
Turkey

Thanks to all...I teach advance level of Ss that �s why I need to clarify every single detail. Otherwise,this would be the easiest subject to teach...:))

27 May 2009