Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help with Phrasal Verbs!    

Help with Phrasal Verbs!

Innovice Teacher
Sri Lanka

Help with Phrasal Verbs!

Hello great teachers.  

I �ll have to teach phrasal verbs to students who have never studied or heard of this grammar element, so what do you think is the best way to teach them the lesson? Will you provide me with an easy way with examples please?

P.S. I searched the website for a useful phrasal verbs worksheet but most of the worksheets there contain exercises only. 

Thanx and waiting for your help

27 May 2009      

mena22
Portugal

Hi! Try this:

Search worksheets, lesson-plans, flashcards...

Level: Age: Type:

Contents:  
Enter here the contents you are looking for (phrasal verbs, halloween,...)

27 May 2009     

Federicoskr
Argentina

Why don�t you better try this?
It�s amazing for adult learners, you can also download the audio. I know you gonna love me.

27 May 2009     

Apodo
Australia

A phrasal verb is a verb (go, get, wake etc) plus an adverb  out / in / up etc.

Bill opened the door and went in.  ( he entered the house)

Jill got up early.

They can be transitive (need an object):

The dog dug up the bone.
The dog dug the bone up.  (This is also correct)

Or intransitive ( no object needed)

The dog sat down.

27 May 2009     

Innovice Teacher
Sri Lanka

Thank you mena but that window doesn �t work. "The page cannot be found" is the notice which appears as soon as I click on the search button. Plus, I �ve already searched the website but as I said before, the worksheets contain exercises only, so no theory or method on how to teach this lesson.

27 May 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Here are just a few links to phrasal verbs of the huge collection on this site.
as mena showed you the screen just type in phrasal verb and leave other fields as they are you �ll get the full collection.

27 May 2009     

Innovice Teacher
Sri Lanka

Thank you Apodo but are you sure that, in phrasal verbs, the element after the verb is called an adverb? I thought we call it a particle.

Some may call it a preposition but then a verb + preposition is much different from a verb + particle both grammatically and semantically. 

Example:

1- Verb + preposition : (e.g. "She will go to school next week")
2- Verb + particle : (e.g. "Her prperty will go to her son") (Phrasal Verb = the property will be given to her son)

27 May 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Ah! I see you can �t download from as you have no points so here are some links from the internet.Hope they help.

27 May 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

I have 4 sets of pictionaries about phrasal verbs... maybe they could be useful, just look for them in my accounnt

27 May 2009     

Innovice Teacher
Sri Lanka

Thank you aftab but I �ve already seen those worksheets on the website and I don �t think they are useful to my students who have never studied phrasal verbs before. Those worksheets are mainly for students who want to reinforce their knowledge on phrasal verbs. That �s why you can find the whole worksheet discussing one verb and its different uses as a phrasal verb.

I just need a simple theory to introduce phrasal verbs to my students and then after they understand what they really mean, we can move to studying something higher. I hope that my message is clear ... Thanx

27 May 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

It �s diffciult to find something simpler as phrasal verb are a higher order grammatical structures. Did you look at the last link in my post? I do hope you find something.

27 May 2009     

1    2    3    Next >