Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Wss    

Wss

eng789
Israel

Wss

There seems to be a great deal of wss being uploaded

in Spanish and Portuguese lately.

Too bad that I don �t teach either. 

Let�s try to keep this an ESL site, please.

27 May 2009      

maria martins
Portugal

Do you think it is causing any trouble to the site?
Isn�t it great to have a tool to connect people from different parts of the world and from the same country, with the same interests and needs?
Last saturday it was the "neighbour�s day" but why not sharing and helping EVERYDAY , no matter your nationality, religion, etc, etc,?!
Thanks

27 May 2009     

eng789
Israel

Of course you are right,  but it is against Victor �s rules for the site which state:

"Your contributions must be in English Language."

Every day, the moderators have to report wss that aren �t in ESL which means a lot of work for us. 

27 May 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

I am disappointed too... there have been some really good  materials... BUT I don �t know if the other language is something important to the worksheet... until I download it... which uses my points AND sometimes it has been a complete waste of time when I realise I have no idea what it says... OR the sheet is uneditable which makes me really disappointed so again it renders it unusable.
This is an ENGLISH website, and I personally think that before anything is uploaded here it should be english only. There is no reason why a page cannot be added at the end of the printable in many cases with the translations/mother tongue added as an EXTRA to the original worksheet OR in the description if the author says if you would like the Spanish version etc PM me and I will send you a copy.
It would be soooooooo appreciated that if there is ANY LANGUAGE apart from ENGLISH then the author MUST indicate that in their description also. Again it is really disappointing to download something and find that pages 2 and 3 are in Portuguese or another language.
Sometimes translated lists/vocabulary are useful I can understand that, but on an actual worksheet it is frustrating.
In my classes I do not have the luxury of being able to explain something in their mother tongue as my pupils at the moment come from all countries of the world. To communicate we HAVE to use english.
English is what binds this community! It is what this website is about- sharing ENGLISH as a second language printables.
So I am sorry to my friends from other countries, I do appreciate and respect your work BUT- in this instance I do agree with  eng789, please submit printables that are in English.

27 May 2009     

johanne23232
Israel

I have to agree, I �ve often downloaded worksheets only to discover lots of foreign words. Might I suggest that , as cheezels said, the fact that there is a foreign language should be included in the description or even in the title (for example :"  Present Simple (with Spanish translations)". Not only would it avoid disappointment for those teachers who don �t need/want Spanish, but it would attract those teachers who WOULD benefit from it.  Another suggestion is that those printables might be uploaded to a different section or category on the site , although I hate to make suggestions that will give Victor any more work!

27 May 2009     

Anna P
Brazil

I totally agree that contributions should be in English. Most of my students speak Portuguese but I don �t think they would benefit from wss written in their mother tongue. The more they focus on the language they are acquiring, the more they will learn.

27 May 2009     

yolprica
Spain

I don �t know why you have problems with that. If it �s clearly explained that it �s for Spanish or Portuguese students and you are not interested, please let people who are interested benefit from that. There are thousands of worksheets which aren �t useful for me in my lessons and I don �t complain, I simply try to find those which can work in my classes. It �s my point of view. I have sometimes uploaded worksheets translated into Spanish and a lot of people have found them useful, why should we stop doing that?
It �s just my opinion and I respect yours, why don �t we try to understand each other?
Hugs from Spain
Yolanda

27 May 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I teach English to French students.  I use French in my worksheets but, I change the worksheet entirely into English to conform with the rules of this site.  Personally, I have no objection whatsoever, but what may happen is, that if everyone started submitting worksheets in their own language it may cause a major problem.  This site would no longer be an English language site as per the rules, and we would have many worksheets in many different languages.  That is may concern, otherwise, I do not have a problem with different languages being used.  This site is growing daily, imagine what would happen if everyone was allowed to submit in their own language.  Another point is would it be fair to erase a worksheet that doesn´t follow the rules, and let one stay in?

27 May 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

I appreciate the Spanish wss BUT this is an ESL site not PSL or SSL.  Each ws takes up space on the server and that will eventually prevent English wss from getting a spot on the server.  Its amazing how rebellious even adults are. The rules say English so the wss should be in English. 

27 May 2009     

Anna P
Brazil

Dear Yolanda,
I understand your point of view but this site is for English teachers from all over the world. When Victor decided that "Your contributions must be in English Language" he had in mind the needs of a whole community, and not of a specific group.

Each day hundreds of new contributions are uploaded. Can you imagine what would happen if ws with instructions in French, Turkish, Japanese or any other language were accepted? They would surely be useful for some teachers, but not for all - and soon the site would be overloaded.

Hugs from Rio,
Anna

27 May 2009     

douglas
United States

To me the answer is quite simple: follow the rules.

The rules specifically state that worksheets must be in English.  When I make dual-language worksheets, I usually make one in just English for this site, otherwise I don �t upload it.  I HAVE exchanged dual language worksheets with other teachers using E-mail though.

Perhaps you should load the English language version and make a note for people to PM you if they want the foreign version.

The rules are very clear on this and Victor has clarified it a number of times on the forum.

27 May 2009