Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Senior students    

Senior students

nikita2008
Argentina

Senior students

Good morning everyone!!!!!!!

I �m starting to work with a group of ladies of more than 60 years old!!! They �re planning to travel to England and they don�t know the Language, Can you give some tips?? I �m really exciting about this, it �s new for me, I got some ideas but I �d like to hear from those who have more experience teaching adults.

Thanks a lot☻☻☻☻

28 May 2009      

[email protected]
United States

Treat them like any other student.  Make sure the materials you are giving them are age appropriate.  I �m sure these ladies also have a good grasp on Spanish so I think they can transfer language over easily.  Start with cognates, it eases learning and makes learning more comfortable, since many people who are older automatically think that they can �t learn a new language.  Since they are willing to learn, you should have an easier time.

28 May 2009     

Nani Pappi
Portugal

If you are working with a group who intends to travel, you should teach them "SURVIVAL ENGLISH", that is how to buy tickets, how to buy food, how to read a bus or tube map, asking for and giving directions.
Think about every situation when you are new in a city (in a hotel, in a museum).

28 May 2009     

eng789
Israel

I taught a group of 60+ a few years ago,  if you want to get them motivate start talking about cooking and baking.  Give them vacabulary they will want to compare recipes and that will give themselves the confidence to use English and then you can bring in the survival vocabulary.   I used to also get them to bring food and tell /write the recipe when they had the voc.  so we were sharing recipes.  Also you can talk about home remedies and how to get stains out etc.  they love those topics. It was lots of fun.

28 May 2009     

Anna P
Brazil

Nikita,

You could focus on Survival English but recipes and home remedies would not be very useful on a trip. I am over 60 myself and would certainly flee from a foreign language course if the instructor started treating me like an old lady. Try to find out their interests first. I bet the Beatles� songs would appeal most of them.
Hugs,
Anna

28 May 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I previously taught a course called the ABC �s of Travel for Seniors.  It was a little tough because it was a multi-level class.  I taught them Survial English and that just worked out fine. I would do role play situations, such as purchasing a ticket, boarding a plane, customs, hotel, restaurant, directions, car rental, car problems, medical etc. 

Have fun, for me it was  very interesting because most of my students had travelled before and many experiences were shared.  

28 May 2009     

carinaluc
Argentina

I would use relevant units from the textbook Survival English, it �s what I did when I had to teach seniors myself.   The units are one-page long and the focus is on communication, not grammar.  Hope it �s useful.

Big hugs

Carina

28 May 2009     

nikita2008
Argentina

Thanks a lot for your answers!!!!!!

Keep them coming!!Wink

28 May 2009     

ants
Switzerland

Would you  believe my 6 to 8 students, one man of 66, are hooked on ending their lesson with a game of Scrabble!!

Mind you some of them have now been coming to me for well over two years and the man who is 66, has been coming to me now for nearly 4 years!!
They �re wonderful and are so motivated and young at heart too.
Enjoy your lessons!!Smile

28 May 2009