Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > so, but SO frustrated!!!    

so, but SO frustrated!!!

cgato
Portugal

so, but SO frustrated!!!

Hi
I�m feeling a bit (very) frustratedUnhappy� My students had to present some texts in class (riddles) and role-plays. The problem is that they don�t apply the grammar rules they learn!

Do you have any magic trick??? If anyone has, please share it. They know grammar rules (tenses, pronouns, etc) IF they are asked to apply them on a grammar exercise, but they don�t apply grammar rules in writing and speaking!!! Today I�ve just gone crazy Angrywhen I heard and read their work! Not a single �s� on 3rd person singular, but they knew the rule!!! Complete confusion between a/an, Just to give some examples!!

It�s really frustrating. Again.. I BEG� if you have a solution share it please�!

big hug from shinning portugal Hug 

28 May 2009      

lomasbello
Venezuela

Good Afternoon.

That happens �cause they do not have that structure in their native language. Make them speak as much as posible using the changes ocurred in the 3rd singular person in simple present.

They will learn it but they need time.

28 May 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

speak speak and speak again. The only thing that will make them apply grammar rules is speaking. As much as poss. Think of organising summer speaking course or discussion club.
PS I agree, games and fun activities can also be very very helpful!

28 May 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

Hi Cgato,

I think you shouldn �t worry.Mistakes are a good proof that the learning is taking place.All what I suggest is that you have to do some remedial work, self correction and peer correction. Take it easy.We all fall but we shouldn �t stay where we are.

If you do some remedial work and ask students to swap papers and play the role of a teacher correcting papers.They �ll like it and will try to avoid making the same mistakes next time.
Be happy!!! Your students make mistakes.There are some students who don �t give you the opportunity to see their mistakes
Good Luck

28 May 2009     

Zora
Canada

Aside from the good advice lomasbello and ladybird, kkcat and Harim have given, you might also want to take into consideration that we are at the end of the school year and unfortunately, the kids are just wanting school to end.

I am finding that I am seeing more sloppiness right now than at the beginning of the year. And as I was saying to a friend today - the kids are just bouncing off the walls. The energy is incredible and it �s just that they are anxious and wanting to enjoy the weather... their minds are on summer and not grammar!!!  Wink

28 May 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

hahha Zora, I know exactly what you mean... my teenage Ss have been bouncing off the walls since .... ummm March.. when spring began lol

28 May 2009     

Portugal

Honey, don �t be.
They �ll get there, just give them time.
Who cares about a missing s in spoken language? They get to be understood, don�t they?
They are not expected to speak like an Oxford Scholar, are they?
So much more important they express themselves, isn �t it?Clap

It �s been such a lovely day - enjoy!

28 May 2009     

serene
Greece

Hi cgato
I absolutely agree with nikadixon. Mistakes don �t really matter much as long as your students can get their meaning across.
Good night everybody!

29 May 2009     

cgato
Portugal

thanks for your support and suggestions!

The problem is that I only have 45 min twice a week with classes of about 25 students! I just want them to be outstanding... I know.. I �m wanting too much, am i not? I was just "crying on your shoulders"Smile 

There are so many teachers here that are so good, ( so better than me) that have so many great ideas... To give them time it is a good idea, after all I still have next year to prepare them to the 10th grade!

And you are right, summer is arriving fast, and holidays are their objective now. And today was really hot here! we have to keep doors and windows open when the weather is this hot.

Thanks for having answered me !Reading kind words, words of support, make such a difference.

Have a great Friday and an even greater weekend!

A big Hug

29 May 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

I totally agree with kkcat. Speaking is the remedy.
When a child learns a language, its native language, first he/she listens to it, then speaks it, and only then is able to read it and write it. What your students must acquire is the melody and the sound of the language.
Yes, they may know the rules and they know how to apply them when doing a worksheet, but they do not think about the rules when they �re speaking. They �re thinking about content. Also, there �s the so-called negative transfer, i.e. the interference of the L1 (first language).
What i suggest is that after doing exercises on a worksheet you make your ss READ the sentences aloud and as fluently as possible, i.e. without any pauses between words. If it �s a Q&A exercise, assign it for HW, to practise asking and answering in pairs.
I �ll give you a few links in a few moments ... just to find the vids where you can witness the way i practise with my ss.

29 May 2009     

crisholm
Spain

This is just the normal process of learning - and they �re doing OK. What is important is that when they speak they concentrate on meaning, and as long as they have enough vocabulary to get it through, it �s OK. You can take note and speak about grammar inaccuracies after the lesson - and gently remind them of what they have learnt in other lessons. Some students catch it quickly, others will be sloppy for a long time or forever. There are some students who like to be in control of everything they say, and others who are willing to risk to get a few steps further. And also some (like the ones I had this year) who copy and paste and then are pathetic when being caught out trying to say something they don �t even understand. It �s not just learning, it �s also learning how to learn, and how to make the process meaningful (not just for the teacher, but also for themselves). All in all, it �s enjoyable to see how they grow as learners (even if sometimes you are about to blow a fuse!). You �ll see how it works when they refer to younger, lower-level learners - they have grown out of that phase and they want to make a difference.
Sometimes (and it �s happened to me lots of times), when an activity does not turn out as I had expected, I simply work on the problems in class and then make them repeat it. In this sense, the repetition (though time consuming) makes them realise that things should be done according to certain standards. But they are not born with the standards - and learning and applying them is a VERY slow process indeed!

29 May 2009     

1    2    Next >