Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Uncountable noun or countable noun?    

Uncountable noun or countable noun?

wingyourdreams
Vietnam

Uncountable noun or countable noun?

As I understand, the noun "staff" is uncountable but when I read some documents online, people still add "s" after this noun. This is really confusing. Can anyone tell me more about this and confirm whether "STAFF" is a count or non-count noun? And if it is used for both cases, then could you also give me some examples? It would be very helpful! Thank you very much in advance!

29 May 2009      

HOLYMARY_852
India

It depends on the meaning of the noun �staff �. It is used both as a countable and uncountable. When it refer to a group of persons like a group of teachers etc., it is uncountable. But when  it is used to mean a stick, a rod or a band or in music �the horizontal lines on and between which notes are written or printed: the placement of a note on the staff indicates its pitch �; the noun �staff � is a countable noun and has the plural staffs or staves. (Reference Webster �s New World Dictionary".  

29 May 2009     

Apodo
Australia

You are correct. Staff is normally uncountable. (if you mean a group of workers)

But perhaps staffs was used as we use peoples in "all the peoples of the world � meaning each separate ethnic or national group.

For example:   The staffs from three different companies were called to a meeting.

29 May 2009     

wingyourdreams
Vietnam

Well, it is relatively clear now for me. Thank you both for spending sometime looking at the matter with me! And by the way, have a nice weekend!

With kind regards from Vietnam,

Kien Nguyen

29 May 2009