Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Outdoor activities for young teenagers    

Outdoor activities for young teenagers

almaz
United Kingdom

Outdoor activities for young teenagers

Hi folks!

Does anyone have any ideas for outdoor activities for young teenagers (mixed 12 -15) which must have some language element to them, not be too childish and above all, be fun? The weather is just perfect, we have a park nearby and it seems such a shame to coop the little darlings up in stuffy rooms (I �m sure they get enough of that at home). Oh, one more rider: doesn �t require the teacher to tear around like a blue-tailed fly!

I �d really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Have a great weekend
(I �m just off to see the World rowing championships up the road a bit...)

30 May 2009      

anitarobi
Croatia

Hi! Well, this is only a work in progress, because I �ve been developing it myself only the last two days, but I �m really into it so maybe you find it useful as well... Have you ever played English board games, like Monopoly(but made for studying), only each field has a language puzzle to solve, and some fields place you in a language trap... You know the ones when you roll the dice and move a figurine to a field, and then it �s all about who gets to the finish first? Well, I �ve made some and played them with kids at Christmas and now in spring, and they love them.
As for how you can use it outdoors - well, upscale it to the level of the figurines being your students, and the board fields being places in a park or on a playground. I �m planning to have all my tasks, traps, names of places etc. linked to a movie we �ll be watching (start=school, finish=MiddleEarth, traps - e. g. a language puzzle or u jumbled movie quote, you know- stuff like that) and my dice will be huge and made out of a cardboard box...I �ll have them running around on a playground... let me know if you use the idea - I �d be happy to know how it worked out...

30 May 2009     

almaz
United Kingdom

Yeah, thanks. I can see the possibilities here: certain natural features (trees, rocks etc) could represent the squares on classic board games. I �ve actually just this minute thought of an adaptation of Trivial Pursuit where an oak tree, say, represents the history category, a stream represents the music category and so on, and the students have to race to the feature shouted out by the teacher then answer a question in that category in order to receive a �piece of pie � (or oak leaf, or whatever) Hmmm, this might have legs.......

Anyway, thanks again for the input. It �s given me food for thought!

30 May 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Amazing - your mind set out on a completely different journey than mine, but I like your idea as well... Thanks for your reply - it gives me a whole new perspective on my original idea...

30 May 2009     

valpa
Argentina

I �ve also thought of treasure hunt. I think little kids as well as teenagers or ever adults love it! specially if you include clues in the cards so that they have to go from place to place till they finally find the "object" or whatever you choose. You can do it in two different teams.
Another game could be a kind of race into two or three teams from one place to another so you organize two teams, each of them in a row behind a desk. On the desk you place cards upside down with a picture or a clue. The first student from each group will pick up a card, read it, think of the answer and run to a given place to stick it or write the answer (could be in a big crossword). Once he has done this, he will run back to their team �s row and touch his partner �s hand so that he can pick up another card and do the same. The first team to finish will be the winner. Well, these are just some ideas. :)

30 May 2009