Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Is it French-English Integration?!    

Is it French-English Integration?!

Nebal
Lebanon

Is it French-English Integration?!

hi,

I face a problem with a student in grade 4.

Actually,  she took French courses  in the summer vacation . When school started a month ago, I noticed that she is perplexed when speaking English and she even writes words like "who" " what" etc...  in a wrong way. She misspells  words. She seems to forget some of her English background.

So, what�s the problem???

Is it language integration or what? Would she overpass this problem ?

Please , tell me what steps I should take.

Big Kisses,
                                                                                                                                 Nebal

19 Oct 2008      

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi Nebal,

As far as I know, it is called "last language interference". It usually happens that the last language you begin to learn interferes with the others until you have achieved a certain command of it.

The only thing you can do is insist on the correction of those mistakes. It is a question of time.

(just from my own experience)

Smile

19 Oct 2008     

Nebal
Lebanon

Hi Tere,

Ya I thought that it�s a matter of time too .

Thanks a lot for your help. It really means a lot!!
                                                                                                                             Big Kisses,
                                                                                                                             Nebal

19 Oct 2008     

frenchfrog
France

Hi, Nebal!

Could your student / pupil also suffer from dyslexia? Just a thought...

Frenchfrog

19 Oct 2008     

Nebal
Lebanon

Dear frenchfrog,

First thnx for your help. But I don�t think it�s dyslexia because Dyslexic individuals often have difficulty "breaking the code" of sound-letter association (the alphabetic principle), and they may also reverse or transpose letters when writing or confuse letters such as b, d, p, q, especially in childhood. But it wasn�t the case of my student.

her problem started recently esp. after the interference of the French lang.

I don�t know if you got my point?????????!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, Thanks a lot for sharing your opinion.
                                                                                                                               Nebal

19 Oct 2008     

frenchfrog
France

Ok! It was just a thought! I know there are also different types of dyslexia. Maybe this student just needs time.

Frenchfrog

19 Oct 2008